chapter 33; secrets

note: hi guys! i see a few new active readers in my notifs, so just wanted to say welcome :)

sorry if these next two chapters aren't my best work, it's nearing finals week and so i'm currently cramming for a bunch of different exams and final reports :/ and this part of the story is slightly slower paced in general, but i'm trying to work through it. anyway, so i really don't have the time to rewrite this part at the moment but i will definitely be editing it in the future. just bear with me for rn luvs

________________________

You sighed as you made your way through the long maze of the palace hallways. You had just finished up a meeting with the Corps of Engineers. Apparently, the military was developing a new technology called Thunder Spears. It had been in development for a while, but the damned MP's kept it a secret under the previous king. The meeting was to discuss the usage of these spears, and ended in resounding support, with only a few officials voting against their use. It was foolish not to use them -- their strength and power could easily give us the upper hand in a battle against titans. But now, allocating enough money to research and production of these weapons fell onto you, as usual. That would require more meetings, more paperwork...

You threw the thoughts from your mind as you reached the exit doors. Wrapping your hand around the cool gold handle, you breathed in the fresh air as you stepped outside into the palace garden. The silence and simplicity that surrounded you was more than welcomed as you quietly hid from your regal duties. Rows of well manicured bushes and an endless array of flowers provided a beautiful get away for days like this when it seemed your mind would never stop.

You slowly strolled along the granite walkways, passing under gazebos and lush trees. You admired the flowers, which casted a stunning contrast against the grey thunderclouds that loomed off over the distant mountains. You made your way to your usual bench in a corner of the garden which was hidden under a secluded and ancient willow tree. A long exasperated sigh released from your lips as you flopped down on the bench, closing your eyes and leaning your head back.

Three months had passed since Historia's coronation as queen, ushering in a period of newfound responsibilities for you as the executive officer. Amidst the fading excitement of the royal ball, the aftermath of the collapsed government demanded immediate attention. High-ranking military personnel needed replacement, resources were misallocated, leading to food scarcity, and infrastructure cried out for improvement. You found yourself at the center of this tangled mess, navigating through the chaos while facing scrutiny over your authority and experience.

On top of this, plans to push humanity forward continued as well in the Scouts. You were called to a confidential meeting a couple weeks ago with Hange, Erwin, Levi, and a few of the other military commanders. Apparently, a vial of the serum Rod Reiss used to transform himself into that titan had fallen into the hands of the Scouts. You were called in in case you had any knowledge from your family about such an artifact, but you were once again rendered clueless. Beyond that, Erwin kept his plans of eliminating the titans mostly to himself, but you didn't mind, as you already had enough on your plate already.