chapter 34; unforgivable truths

Over the recent days, you've begun to notice subtle shifts in the dynamics around you—the hurried conversations that fall silent upon your approach, the glances exchanged between council members

Over the recent days, you've begun to notice subtle shifts in the dynamics around you—the hurried conversations that fall silent upon your approach, the glances exchanged between council members. Even your visits with Erwin have become brief, leaving you with more questions than answers.

And then there's Historia, your dear friend and queen, whose demeanor has changed in ways you struggle to comprehend. There's a guardedness in her eyes, a hesitance in her words, as if she's tiptoeing around some unspoken truth, unwilling or unable to share it with you.

But perhaps the most painful revelation of all is the silence from Levi, the one constant in your tumultuous world. His letters, once a lifeline connecting you to the outside world, have ceased without warning, leaving you adrift in a sea of unanswered questions. Is he safe? Is he well? Or has he too been swept up in the currents of deception that swirl around you? The comfort of palace life, once a sanctuary, now feels more like a prison, trapping you in a web of uncertainty and apprehension.

And so, when Historia suggests a visit to the orphanage—a brief reprieve from the demands of courtly life—you seize upon it eagerly, clinging to the promise of freedom like a drowning soul reaching for a lifeline.

As you stand by the window in your quarters, the surprising grandeur of the orphanage fades into the shadows of your weary mind. You watch the sun's rays filter through the curtains, casting patterns of light and shadow on the wooden floor, yet even their warmth fails to dispel the chill that has settled within you.

A soft knock interrupts the silence, drawing your attention. You turn to see Historia, her presence a welcome interruption to the solitude that threatens to consume you. "Are you hungry, Adeline?" she asks in a hushed tone, her voice carrying a gentle concern. "Dinner is ready."

You blink, pulling yourself out of your mind, and nod silently, following Historia as she leads the way downstairs. The evening light filters through the windows, casting a warm glow over the empty corridors. You enter the dining hall, the evening meal laid out before you on simple yet elegant plates. The children are playing outside for the moment, granting you both a rare moment of privacy. The distant sound of their laughter drifts through the air, a fleeting reminder of innocence amidst the chaos of the world beyond these walls.

Historia tries to make small talk as the two of you sit down and eat. She keeps her words light and easy, as she gestures towards the orphanage and the children. "They seem to be enjoying themselves today," she remarks, her gaze lingering on the window, "It's always so lively here."

You offer a faint smile in response, but your mind remains clouded, weighed down by the unspoken worries that linger just beneath the surface.

Sensing your distraction, Historia's expression softens, concern flickering in her eyes. "Adeline," she begins hesitantly, "Is something troubling you? You've seemed distant ever since we spoke in the garden."