chapter 28; a day of celebration

The morning of the coronation dawned swiftly, with breakfast delivered to the elegant bedroom lent to you by Historia. The room itself exuded regal charm, adorned with floor-to-ceiling royal blue curtains, matching bed sheets in hues of blue and white, and a mattress so plush it felt like resting on a cloud. Every detail, from the gold accents to the ornate furnishings, added to the room's undeniable elegance.

As the maids whisked away the remnants of your meal, you turned your attention to preparing for the day's events. The distant sounds of music and chatter from the town below signaled the start of the festivities, and you couldn't help but feel a surge of excitement.

Today was dedicated solely to celebration, beginning with Historia's coronation in the morning, followed by a day filled with town-wide parties boasting delectable food and endless libations. And, of course, the grand finale awaited in the evening—the royal ball.

As you finished getting ready, a casual knock at the door interrupted your thoughts. Without waiting for a response, Sasha let herself in, her infectious energy filling the room. Behind her, Mikasa trailed in, her demeanor more reserved in contrast to Sasha's exuberance.

"Good morning!" Sasha chirped, her voice brimming with enthusiasm as she made herself comfortable by flopping onto your bed. You smiled in response, feeling a warmth spread through you at her presence.

"You two seem to be up bright and early," you remarked, tying up your hand into a ponytail.

"It wasn't entirely voluntary," Mikasa replied, earning a sympathetic look from you.

"We were heading to the coronation and thought you might want to join us since your room is on the way," Sasha added, ignoring Mikasa's comment.

"Well, you caught me just in time!" you said, offering them a smile.

Sasha and Mikasa were dressed in formal attire, which consisted of a formal pencil skirt and a blouse, though not overly extravagant. They would be part of the crowd, so there was no need for anything too elaborate.

You, on the other hand, would be standing at Historia's side for the whole world to see, so you required something a little more elaborate. You wore a tailored white military uniform, specially crafted by Historia's tailor for you to wear during your role as her executive officer.

A few weeks prior, during the transition cleanout for the new monarchy, a maid had stumbled upon an old Abertine uniform hidden in a storage room unused during the false king's reign. Surprisingly it was in remarkable condition, considering how long it had been shoved out of sight. Historia had graciously presented it to you as a family heirloom, allowing you to keep it in your possession, and ordered her tailor to base your new dress uniform on the original.

The uniform featured a white fitted suit with delicate gold trim and buttons, paired with a knee-length white pencil skirt. Adorned with medals, tassels, and the Abertine family crest meticulously recreated from the original design, it signified your new status and heritage.

After slipping on a pair of low black pumps and giving yourself a final once-over in the mirror, you felt a swell of pride. This uniform was more than just clothing; it was a tangible link to your family's history, a reminder of their sacrifices and accomplishments. It was what your grandfather would have worn if he were still alive to see this day.

Sasha shot you a playful grin. "Are you finally done admiring yourself in the mirror?" she quipped, earning a mock offended gasp from you.

Rolling your eyes with a laugh, you nodded, signaling that you were indeed ready. With a final glance at your reflection, you followed Sasha and Mikasa out of the room and towards the palace steps, where Historia was soon to be crowned queen.