chapter 32; calm before the storm

The courtyard of the palace was shrouded in a somber atmosphere, raindrops drumming a methodic melody against the cobblestone pavement as various soldiers scurried around completing their obligations

The courtyard of the palace was shrouded in a somber atmosphere, raindrops drumming a methodic melody against the cobblestone pavement as various soldiers scurried around completing their obligations. The once vibrant hues of the palace were muted beneath the gray expanse of the overcast sky, casting a pall of gloom over the scene.

You stood amidst the drizzle, a solemn expression etched upon your features as you assisted Hange in packing the final supplies for the Scouts' departure. Despite the heaviness of the moment, Hange's irrepressible spirit remained undimmed, a beacon of light amidst the encroaching darkness.

With a mischievous glint in her eyes, Hange couldn't resist the urge to tease you about Levi, her playful banter a stark contrast to the somber backdrop of the courtyard.

"You know, Adeline," Hange began, a teasing lilt to her voice, "I can't help but notice how you and Levi seemed awfully cozy during the ball. From where I was, it sounded like the two of you had a pretty good night. Anything you want to share with the class?"

You rolled your eyes at Hange's playful insinuations, a faint blush rising to your cheeks. "Hange, now's not the time for jokes," you chided gently, though a hint of amusement danced in your eyes.

Hange nudges you playfully, "You don't have to be ashamed, y'know. You got Levi to finally come out of his shell, which is pretty impressive. And besides," She huffed as she placed a box down into a cart. "I was beginning to think I was going to lose the bet I had with the cadets." She said casually.

You stared at your friend incredulously, "You guys had a bet on whether or not Levi would get together?"

"Yep." She said, matter-of-factly. "Mikasa, Eren, and Jean all bet you wouldn't. But Connie, Sasha, and I had faith in you. Erwin, too."

Your mouth dropped open. "Erwin was in on this?"

Hange nodded mischievously, "Yep." She waved her hand in dismissal at your expression, "Oh, please! It's not like you two ever hid it. Levi just has a stick up his ass at all times, so he'd never admit it and you were too scared to say anything. But I always had faith." She said, earning another astonished look from you at her honesty.

You chuckled at Hange's antics, shaking your head in amusement. "Well, if you must know, things are nice but... complicated."

Hange raised an eyebrow, her curiosity piqued. "Complicated, huh? Sounds intriguing. Do tell."

You sighed, a mix of frustration and fondness swirling within you. "Let's just say Levi and I have a few obstacles to overcome. Duty, for one."

Hange nodded knowingly, her expression softening. "Ah, yes. The burden of duty. A formidable opponent, indeed. But hey, where there's a will, there's a way, right?"

You smiled wistfully, grateful for Hange's unwavering support. "Right."

"In any case, it seems like Levi's back to his old demeanor. It was nice seeing him so relaxed this past month, but alas!" Hange sighed, placing the final box down.