chapter 36; last one standing

After you left the orphanage, you rode through the first night, only taking time to rest when your horse needed it, as there was no time to waste

After you left the orphanage, you rode through the first night, only taking time to rest when your horse needed it, as there was no time to waste. The urgency to reach the Scouts propelled you forward, covering the distance from Wall Sina to Wall Rose in just over a day. Your mind hadn't stopped racing at the thought of your comrades being ripped to shreds by whatever horrors awaited them at Shiganshina. Betrayal still tore you apart, but something beyond hatred fueled you to continue on.

You passed across plains and through forests, until finally making your way to Trost, the southernmost district of Wall Rose. Here, exhaustion finally caught up to you, demanding a pause in your relentless charge. You were lucky enough to buy out a different horse in replace of your current one. You'd be needing a fresh steed to finish the last leg of your trip. Renting a room for the night, you tried to make the most of what little rest you could afford. Sleep came fitfully, your mind restless with worry and anticipation for the trials that lay ahead.

As dawn broke, you resumed your journey, crossing into Wall Maria with heightened caution. You were back in titan territory, their threat lurking around every corner. You were no amateur in this area, considering your upbringing, but your exhaustion was beginning to catch up to you, causing your senses to slip. Your sharp precision in avoiding titans alone would not help you in your current state.

By sheer force of will, you pushed through blistering pain from the saddle, growing starvation, and fatigue, begging yourself to push on. You were nearly to Shiganshina – you refused to give up now.

______________________

Night was falling fast, and your horse's speed began to slow. You had been riding through Wall Maria for the whole day at this point, so it was foolish to push forward in this state. You grudgingly veered off path, seeking cover in the dense foliage of a nearby forest.

Among the towering trees, you found solace beneath the sheltering canopy of a large, sturdy oak. You secured your horse to its base before ascending to the safety of the branches above. Even though it was nighttime, you didn't want to risk sleeping on the forest floor.

Perched in the crux of the tree, you huddled against the gnarled bark, gazing out into the vast expanse of the night ahead. The new moon hung in the air, its feeble glow offering scant illumination to the world below. From your vantage point, you could see for miles, the landscape shrouded in an inky darkness that mirrored the turmoil within.

Exhaustion clawed at your every fiber, a relentless reminder of the three days spent riding with little reprieve. As the night stretched before you, the weight of worry and confusion pressed upon your chest. The emotions and thoughts you had been running away from these past days had finally caught up to you.

How did it come to this?

The question echoed in your mind, a refrain of bewilderment as you grappled with the betrayal from your friends and the worry that they might be dead. Only a few months ago, your life was full of laughter and joy. Now, there was nothing but a gut wrenching dread that this might be it.