chapter 22; on trial

note: short chapter today

note: short chapter today. i'm currently drowning in a research paper and haven't slept very well recently (x__x)

_________________________

The next morning crept by painstakingly slowly as you awaited the fate of your trial. Your arm that was shackled to the wall hung lifelessly, your skin starting to bleed from the chafing of the metal. Hoping for a happy ending was foolish, yet Erwin remained so confident in his plan of succession. So much so that when the soldiers pulled the two of you from your cell for your trial, the look of determination and vengeance in his eyes was enough to send chills down your spine.

The throne room was filled with all the highest ranking officials that you could think of. People from every branch stood in watch as you were brought forward. In the front of the room, sat four men and behind them, the King. Or, according to Erwin, the false King. The men in front of you looked down on you with disgust as you were forced to kneel beside the Commander.

The next hour was humiliating, and nothing short of a joke. The nobles asked you questions, but interrupted you whenever you spoke. They took any opportunity they could to throw jabs at you, causing you to grow more frustrated with each passing sentence. The trial was more of a public humiliation rather than a court meeting.

"What is your defense on your family's treacherous lineage?" The skinnier noble asked.

"Does it even matter at this point?" You scoffed. "No matter what I say, you will never listen to reason. You already have your decision in mind, why bother giving me a trial when it wont change my ruling. Do you disgusting weasels get off at another person's degradation? This government is a sick joke and a poor excuse for justice."

Their expressions contorted into resentment at your blatant disrespect. They shifted uncomfortably in their seats, but from the looks on everyone else's faces, you knew your words resonated with them.

Then the head noble, the chubbiest and most infuriating of the four, rose from his chair and approached you, looking down his nose at you as he smiled sickeningly. "Well then," He addressed the crowd, "I think we have heard enough, yes? Adeline Abertine," He mused "Due to your family's history and blatant disobedience of the Crown, I hereby sentence you to public execution. You will be sent to the Orvud district where you will be hung for your crimes."

You spat at his feet, causing him to laugh sarcastically at your pitiful attempt at disobedience.

"You fat pigs have nothing better to do than live your selfish lives!" You swore, as the room erupted in murmurs of agreement. "You should be ashamed of yourselves. All of you!" You shouted, turning your attention to the officials that stood as bystanders to this horrible display of injustice.

"Take the bitch away." The noble said, dismissing you with his hand. "Let this be the end to the Abertine disgrace." You kicked and yelled more accusations as soldiers moved in to drag you away. Why could none of them understand that you're not their enemy? They agree with you, do they not? People avoided your gaze, out of fear or guilt, you didn't know. You desperately looked to Erwin for help.

Your plan better work, you psychotic bastard. You cursed, praying to whatever gods were out there that this wouldn't be your end.

_________________________

"And there you have it. The coup was successful." Hange narrated as Levi and his squad read the news article in anticipation. "Premier Zachary now has full control of the capital and government. It's all written right there. The abuse of power, the bogus charges against the Scouts, and that King Fritz was both a puppet and a fraud. It's clear that we only acted in self defense. In short, we're no longer criminals."

Everyone stared at each other in disbelief, before bursting into cheers and laughter. Sasha excitedly shook Mikasa, who was still processing the information while Connie and Jean laughed with each other in glee.

Levi was one of the only few not celebrating. He was relieved that they were no longer fugitives, but he wasn't foolish enough to expect that to be the end of things. Historia and Eren were still missing, and you were currently on your way to your execution.

"Looks like Erwin's gamble paid off." He commented quietly as the others continued in their celebration.

Hange smiled solemnly at the Captain. "That it did. But it wasn't just Erwin that gambled. Many people had to make a lot of hard choices for this to work. Including her."

Levi glanced over to his friend at the mention of you before turning his attention back to his squad. "How is she?"

Hange's smile disappeared. "Physically, she's fine. The military police didn't torture her like they normally do. I guess they were just that desperate to get rid of her." She gritted her teeth as the thought of the government's transgressions. "She's on the way to Orvud right now. She'll be hung within the next week."

Levi's heart sank, adrenaline overtaking his thoughts as he imagined your death. The depressing conversation was quite the juxtaposition with the cheers and whoops still coming from his squad.

"You know, no one would blame you if you went to save her." Hange said.

The thought was dangerously tempting, and Levi would be lying if he said he didn't want to, but alas. "I'm needed here." He said, brushing Hange off to save face. "Adeline knew the stakes when she joined our cause. As much as I'd like to help her, they need my help in saving Eren and Historia. Those two are the key to our freedom, Adeline knows that."

Hange sighed in disappointment. "Levi, you can stop acting like I don't know how you feel about her. I thought we were past this now." She saw him tense slightly at her accusations, causing her to chuckle to herself. "But you're right. The sooner we save Eren and Historia, the sooner we can get Historia on the throne and pardon Adeline. She's my friend too, y'know. And I'll be damned if I just sit back and watch my friend die."