chapter 8; the aftermath

You had caught up with Jean and told him the words Erwin ordered

You had caught up with Jean and told him the words Erwin ordered. He seemed hesitant to give you a weapon you could possibly use against him, but he dropped ODM gear at your feet regardless.

Armin was there with squad four and Hange, their backs turned to you as they watched the two titans in front of them.

"Hange," you said, standing up as you finished lacing your gear. "Erwin has been taken into custody. He told me to come and fight."

She gave you a frustrated look, "That bastard! So that's his plan? Get himself arrested? He never tells me anything anymore. No matter, we'll deal with that later." She turned back to the clearing where the titans fought. "We've already tried to trap Annie, but she escaped. We're staying back for now, our ODM gear is useless in such a large clearing like that."

"You mean it's up to Eren now?" You asked, slightly doubting his abilities

"Seems like it."

Eren's titan let out a crazed scream as he slammed the Female Titan into the ground, causing the ground to shake once more.

You peered behind you at the city that was in flames. Screams could be heard from all corners as rubble and smoke littered the scene. You frowned. I'm almost glad that Erwin got arrested. It's the least he deserves for causing this.

"Get down!" Someone shouted in urgency. You turned just in time to dodge the piece of rubble that had been carelessly tossed your way.

"Holy shit!" You cried, and mindlessly grabbed Armin who wasn't as quick to react as you jumped out of the way.

You both slammed into the ground, knocking the wind out of the both of you. You groaned as you leaned up, "Sorry, kid. You alright?" You asked the blonde as he nodded. You felt a bruise forming on your rib from the tumble.

"Thank you." He said, offering you a hand to pull you up.

Finally, Mikasa arrived at the scene. She must have gotten held up earlier. "Eren!" She screamed, ready to leap into the fray, but Hange held her back.

"No! There's nothing we can do for him!"

You and the others could do nothing but look in horror as the Female Titan tossed Eren into a nearby building, knocking him out for a second.

She hardened her finger tips with a crystalline material and sprinted for the wall that loomed above you.

"She's trying to escape!" You yelled, drawing your swords and running off the roof. You flew through the air, ODM gear latched onto the titan's heel, readying your swords. But Annie lifted her foot to kick you away, and the wire from your gear came undone as she did so, thus catapulting you into the air.

However, this didn't phase you. You flipped your body around in the air and went in for round two, aiming for her feet once more. This time, you were faster than her and managed to slice deep into her heel. You retreated to a nearby building, looking back on the damage you had done.

But it still wasn't enough. She limped closer to the wall and began her climb. Luckily, Eren rose from his spot buried into someone's house and charged after her. He leaped onto her leg, biting and clawing at the muscle on her body. She, however, kicked him off in desperation at the expense of her limb.

Before you knew it, she was more than halfway up the wall. It was Mikasa who flew in to save the day, slicing through both of the titan's fingers, causing Annie to lose her grip.

She plummeted to the ground and Eren tore into her with a vengeance. It was like he totally disregarded his humanity and had turned completely into a beast. You shuddered at the thought of being on the receiving end of his wrath.

He had ripped the head off and tossed it aside as he opened his mouth and tore off a piece of skin near the nape.

"He's going to eat her!" Hange yelled, brows furrowed.

"Eren stop!" His friends screamed hopelessly. As a last defense, Annie began to cover herself in the crystalline material, in turn trapping Eren's Titan as well.

"Get out of there!" various people cried as Eren's Titan screamed in surprise. He couldn't escape as the ore hardened around him.

Suddenly, a form whipped past you, headed straight for Eren, swords drawn. Levi had arrived just in time to pull Eren from the fray. "Don't eat our key piece of evidence, idiot." He scolded as he expertly sliced Eren's body from the titan.

You came down from your perch and rushed toward Levi as he landed on the ground with the boy. You could tell his injuries were still causing him pain as he limped.

"Hey," you said, still in shock from the adrenaline in your veins, "you okay?" You offered a hand as he helped lower Eren to the ground.

Everyone rushed towards you, Eren, and Levi, to help with whatever they could. "Yeah, I'm fine." He said, brushing you off.

The coldness from his voice stung you slightly and you frowned. Hange soon took over command and Erwin arrived at the scene. Levi excused himself and approached the Commander.

You looked around you at the mess the fight had made. They couldn't even get Annie due to the layers of hardening she was under.

"Can't win 'em all, I guess." You heard Levi mutter to Erwin. He looked over his shoulder at you and held eye contact for a second before stalking away. You frowned, wanting to run after him. You could tell something was off, and an instinct in you was screaming at you to talk to him and make sure he was okay.

However, you thought your attention was needed most with the Female Titan right now. So you stayed. I'll ask him later, you promised yourself.

__________

After the Battle of Stohess, the Survey Corp was allowed to keep Eren and continue their mission to take back the walls. Most of the recruits from the 104th cadet corps were sent to a barrack out in Wall Rose to be held temporarily for questioning. Erwin was questioned as well, but managed to talk his way out of consequence, regardless of the countless deaths he caused.

However, another problem appeared. While soldiers were cleaning up the remnants of Annie's Titan, a hole in the wall appeared, revealing the ghastly face of a titan. The military worked swiftly to cover it up, but the secret was now out: titans are inside the walls.

You remained under Levi's supervision throughout this time. Although, as time went on and you continued to prove your alliance, he lessened his watch on you.

With more secrets uncovered and more answers needed, Erwin finally saw it fit to sit down with you, as you had asked.