chapter 30; confessions

As you stepped off to the side, a wide grin etched onto your face from the dance

As you stepped off to the side, a wide grin etched onto your face from the dance. "That was incredible," you said, turning to Levi with a gleam of excitement in your eyes.

Levi's gaze met yours, a faint smile graced his features. "Yeah, it was," he agreed, his voice even but filled with genuine warmth.

Before you could revel in the moment any longer, Erwin approached, his presence drawing your attention. "Impressive dancing, both of you," he commended, offering a polite nod. However, his expression soon turned more serious as he continued, "But, Adeline, I'm afraid duty calls. There are some officials and higher-ups, along with their wives, who are eager to meet you. As the queen's executive officer, it's important that you make an appearance."

You couldn't hide your disappointment, exchanging a regretful glance with Levi. The brief moment of connection you shared on the dancefloor seemed all too fleeting now, overshadowed by the demands of your newfound responsibilities. With a resigned sigh, you nodded, understanding the necessity of the situation. "Of course, Erwin," you replied, steeling yourself for the inevitable separation.

Reluctantly bidding farewell to Levi, you followed Erwin across the bustling ballroom to where a group of officials and their wives stood. As you approached, Erwin introduced you with a respectful nod.

"May I present Adeline, the new executive officer of Queen Historia," he announced, his voice carrying across the group.

You offered a graceful curtsy, acknowledging the assembled guests. Among them stood familiar faces, including Nile Dok, whose presence stirred a twinge of resentment within you, the memory of your imprisonment still gnawing at your mind. Despite knowing that his actions were merely following orders, you couldn't shake the lingering bitterness from the memory of your arrest.

Pyxis stood beside him, his weathered features softened by a genial smile. A few new faces stood around including Keith Shadis and Zachary Dhavis who completed the group, their imposing presence casting a solemn air over the gathering.

Hange offered you a quick smile as you approached, her eyes twinkling with mischief. You returned the gesture, grateful for her familiar presence amidst the sea of unfamiliar faces.

After exchanging quick pleasantries with each of the officials, you found a moment to step aside and gather your thoughts. However, before you could fully compose yourself, Nile approached, his wife trailing behind him. There was an air of formality about him, tinged with a hint of shame.

"Adeline," he began sheepishly, "I wanted to take this opportunity to formally introduce myself and offer my apologies for our previous encounter."

You fought to maintain a semblance of formality, despite the turbulent emotions churning within you. "Commander Dok," you nodded in acknowledgement, your voice tinged with restraint.

"I understand if you harbor resentment towards me for my actions. I assure you, it was never my intention to cause you any undue harm. I was merely following orders, as any soldier is expected to do."