chapter 24; through the smoke

It was barely dawn when you were awoken in your cell by five military police soldiers

It was barely dawn when you were awoken in your cell by five military police soldiers. They were quick to detain you and secure your hands with metal cuffs. You kept quiet and didn't resist, but the look on your face was grim. You prayed that Hange would make it in time, or else you were about to meet your gruesome end.

They escorted you through the stone hallways of the barracks towards a set of stairs. At the top was a wide wooden door. You dragged your feet up the steps as the door swung open to reveal the early morning sky.

Your eyes adjusted to the outdoor light, and you close your eyes as you took a deep breath of the fresh morning air.

"Keep it moving." One of the soldiers said, shoving you forward towards a carriage that was parked a few steps from the barracks. Your path was lined with soldiers armed to the teeth, making sure you had no way of escaping.

"Oh, how lovely of you all to make such a grand exit for me." You cooed, but received no reaction. "Tough crowd." You mumbled as you were pushed into the carriage.

There were already two soldiers inside, also armed, that accompanied you. You sat uncomfortably with your hands pinned behind your back, as the door slammed in your face and the driver began moving.

The drive was short and quiet, only taking a few minutes before you pulled into what looked to be the courtyard of the town center. As you stepped out of the carriage, you noticed the giant wooden structure placed right in the middle of the courtyard. And atop it hung a noose.

"Not cracking any jokes now, are you, Abertine?" One soldier said, earning a glare from you.

But they were right. Your palms began to sweat as you realized you were minutes away from death and still saw no sign of Hange or the others. Any minute now. You pleaded. The soldiers pushed you forward, snickering at your hesitancy.

However, you noticed there was barely a crowd gathered at the moment. In fact, maybe only twenty citizens actually came to see your execution. Part of you was offended that so few deemed your death of importance, but your other half had a feeling this had to do with the imminent threat of the titan heading towards the city. Erwin must have ordered an evacuation. I wonder what twisted plan he came up with this time. You mused to yourself.

Your cuffs rattled as you were led up the rickety wooden stairs of the gallows as a decorated Captain read off an official announcement.

"In order to restore security and to ensure the common good, by decree of the late King and according to marshal law, Adeline Abertine and all who share the same blood, shall be sentenced to hanging until dead. Their crimes include; high treason and plotting to overthrow the crown, sedition by inciting an uprising against the crown, conspiracy to overthrow the crown, sabotage, murder of the first degree, murder of the second degree, voluntary manslaughter, and regicide."

You began to laugh out loud at the absurd charges thrown your way. It seems those damned nobles just threw darts at a list of crimes and wrote down whatever they landed on. "Are you kidding me?" You said, still laughing. "No seriously, are you joking?" You turned to face the small crowd that was now slowly growing due to curious citizens noticing the commotion in passing. "Do none of you pathetic individuals ever stand to question the shit you're told? Sedition? Sabotage? Regicide? I haven't even lived inside the walls long enough to do any of those things!" A few of the people began to look at each other in unease. "And so what! My ancestors fled the walls and abandoned the King. But don't any of you stop and wonder why? Why did a family with so much influence leave the cozy interior life for a dreadful one outside the walls, far from safety or civilization?"