chapter 29; may i have this dance

note: im so excited for this chapter omg

note: im so excited for this chapter omg. i kinda went overboard with it because i've been so excited to write it so i'm splitting it into two longer chapters. i'm uploading both today so you can read both at the same time or break it up into more digestible parts but HEHE i was quite literally giggling to myself and kicking my feet as i wrote this. so ENJOY! also, fwiw, the waltz i have in my head is called la valse de l'amour from the Cinderella movie soundtrack. and just a reminder than levi and adeline are roughly the same height. maybe levi is a little taller than canon too hehe sorry.

_____________________________

As you stand before the ornate mirror in your room, the events of the day replay in your mind like scenes from a vivid dream. The buzz of excitement from the day's events still humming in your veins mingling with the anticipation that swirls within you. It was finally time for the main event of the day – the ball. And you were Historia's honored guest.

You gaze at your reflection, taking in the elegant attire that adorns your figure. The violet gown, chosen with care thanks to Hange, drapes gracefully over your form, its rich hues complementing your complexion. Each delicate stitch and intricate detail speaks of luxury and refinement, a testament to the craftsmanship of the tailor.

You reach for the pair of elbow-length white gloves laid out before you. As you slip them on, the smooth fabric glides over your skin, imbuing you with a sense of regal poise. The weight of the exquisite jewelry borrowed from Historia's royal collection hangs from your neck and adorns your wrists, adding a touch of opulence to your ensemble.

Your gaze drifts to your reflection once more, lingering on the intricate hairstyle that frames your face. The half-up, half-down style, expertly crafted by the palace hairdresser, accentuates your features with effortless elegance.

As you take a deep breath, the nerves that have been fluttering in your stomach all day intensify, mixing with a sense of excitement. The ball had already begun – you could hear the distant music and chatter, signaling the guests had already arrived.

With a final adjustment to your attire, you turn away from the mirror, steeling yourself for the festivities that lie ahead, swallowing down your anxiety. The ballroom awaits, its grandeur and splendor beckoning you to step forward. You make your way downstairs, the excitement building within you, fueling your determination to embrace the night's festivities.

However, as you stand before the grand doors leading into the ballroom, a torrent of nerves threatens to overwhelm you once again, freezing you in place. The weight of the evening's expectations bears down on your shoulders, filling you with a sense of apprehension.

Just when it feels like the weight of your fears may crush you, a familiar figure materializes beside you. Erwin's presence is a beacon of stability in the midst of your turmoil, his calm demeanor a soothing remedy to your frayed nerves.

"Adeline," he says, his voice gentle yet firm, reminding you of your father's. "Are you alright?"

You meet his gaze, finding solace in the concern etched upon his features. With a shaky breath, you nod, unable to find the words to articulate the tumult of emotions swirling within you.