Chapter 11: When the Devil Came a Knockin'

Charlie exchanges curious glances with the group before approaching the front door. As she gets closer, she gets a sense of déjà vu, from the first time she met Alastor. Opening the door to who knows who. As she opens the door, she is completely shocked at the visitor.

At the door stands the King of Hell, (the Devil Daddy himself), her father, Lucifer; who has come to check in on her and see if she's doing okay. He looks at her with a mix of concern and pride, his piercing gaze scanning her every move.

She barely stumbles out, "H-Hey Dad...."

Lucifer's face lights up with a warm smile as he turns to her, his eyes shining with a fatherly affection. "My little Charlotte," he says, taking her hand in his own.

"How has this hotel and that... idea... of yours been doing?" He says it with an indiscernible tone.

She knows he still doesn't approve of her idea to try and rehabilitate demons, but at least he doesn't force her to quit. And he seems to have come here to check on her out of the love of his heart; overcoming his dislike of this hotel. Though, she still isn't on the best of terms with her father.

She replies honestly, "It's going. I guess... To be honest, it could be going better. I thought that if I tried hard enough that it would work. But... It's just not. Not enough progress and not enough sinners. We barely have a staff... and we only have one real tenant... it's just...."

She stops and sighs for a second before starting again, "but I'm not going to give up."

He looks at her with an expression she can't read. It's always hard to read the people who permanently smile; they always seem happy, albeit in a creepy way, but she knows that they rarely are. It appears to be a mix of pride, sadness, and... something else.

He replies, "Charlie I-" he is cut off, to his mild annoyance, by the group re-entering the lobby. Vaggie is yelling at Alastor. But whatever they were arguing about was quickly resolved once they saw her dad.

Husk and Niffty are too shocked to move. Angel can only manage a bow. Vaggie shakily curtsies, "Your highness."

To which he responds, "Hello Vagatha," politely.

Alastor says, "Lucifer."

To which he curtly responds, "Alastor."

A rather informal greeting to the king of hell. The reason for that informality would be the mutual respect they have for each other. And the fact that all overlords have regular meetings with Lucifer.

Charlie notices that Angel looks uncomfortable. Niffty and Husk seem to be avoiding eye contact with anyone. Alastor seems indifferent. And Vaggie seems to be fidgeting with her hands, looking nervous. Charlie tries to break the ice by saying, "Nice to see you all again. How's everything going?"

Husk steps forward and clears his throat, "Uhh.. boss... I... got nothing. Sorry."

She sighs, then says to her dad, "Let's continue this discussion in my office."

He replies, "Very well, but bring Vaggie and Alastor with you." She agrees.

As the four of them ride the elevator to the top floor, she can't help but wonder what her dad wants to talk about. When they reach her office, her dad takes a seat behind her desk in her chair. Charlie and Vaggie take a seat in some nearby chairs. Alastor continues standing.

Lucifer then proceeds to prop his feet up on the desk comfortably, before saying, "Very nice. Love what you've done with the place. Now, onto business. Sweetie, Vaggie, would you be so kind to sit outside on the balcony for a few minutes while I discuss some things with Alastor. Then we can finish our talk." She exchanges a confused look with Vaggie and then Alastor before agreeing. She and Vaggie then head onto the balcony and close the door while her dad talks to Alastor.