Chapter 15: I Like What You've Done with the Place

The next morning, Charlie wakes up to the sound of the radio demon's voice. She stretches and sits up in bed, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. Alastor is sitting in a chair near the foot of her bed.

He says, "Good morning, my dear, sorry to disturb you and Vaggie's 'sleep,' but I thought I needed to tell you that I will be gone most of today."

Charlie replies embarrassed, "Oh, Al, no, we... it wasn't anything like that—Wait? Where are you going?"

He replies, "If you say so. Anyways, I'm going out today, and I'm taking Husker and Niffty. So, toddles." Then he disappears.

Soon after, Vaggie wakes up, confused. As Vaggie wakes up, she looks around the room, wondering who Charlie was talking to. She sees Charlie sitting up next to her. Still half-asleep and with a soft smile on her face, Vaggie asks, "What was that?"

Charlie shakes her head, "It was just Alastor. He's going to be away with Husk and Niffty." Vaggie looks confused, "Was he actually in the room?"

Charlie replies sheepishly, "Yeah..." Vaggie sighs. Charlie gets dressed, and Vaggie heads back to her room to get ready. Once Charlie finishes, she meets up with Vaggie in the elevator. When they both enter the lobby, as usual, nothing is happening.

Charlie sees Sir Pentious chasing KeeKee, her pet "cat"-like animal, annoyedly. She apparently stole his tools. Charlie decides to send Angel, Razzle, and Dazzle to go pick out some new furniture for the hotel. Then she asks Vaggie if she wants to go on a walk.

Vaggie looks at Charlie, surprised. "I don't know, are you feeling okay?" Charlie nods, "Yeah, I'm fine. I just wanted to get some fresh air." Vaggie smiles and nods, "Alright, let's go."

Charlie and Vaggie walk outside, taking in the cool morning air. The sun is just starting to rise, casting a warm glow over the city. They notice a group of people gathered near the entrance of a nearby park. Curiosity getting the better of them, Charlie decides to investigate.

As they approach the group, they see that they are all sinners, some of them are even drunk. One of them, a mummy-looking man in a leather jacket, spots them and starts to make lewd comments. Vaggie steps in front of Charlie, her fists clenched.

"Excuse me," Vaggie says, furiously. The mummy-looking man laughs and slaps her across the face, causing her to stumble backward. "What are you looking at, little girl?" he sneers, stepping closer to her. Vaggie straightens back up, her eyes blazing with anger.

"I'm not a little girl." She takes a step forward, her fists clenched at her sides. "I'm a woman, and I won't stand for your behavior." The mummy-looking man laughs again, but this time it's more menacing. "Oh? And what are you going to do about it?" he asks, raising his hands in mock fear.

Vaggie takes another step forward, her eyes never leaving the man. "I'm going to hit you with my fist. Hard," she says calmly, taking another step forward. The man's eyes widen in surprise as Vaggie swings her fist at him, hitting him squarely in the face. He stumbles backward, dropping to the ground. The other sinners gasp in shock and confusion, unsure of what to do next. Vaggie takes advantage of the moment and charges forward, punching and kicking the mummy-looking man until he's unconscious. Then she stands up tall and confidently yells, "Anyone else want to try us?" No one steps forward, and some even back away. Then Charlie and Vaggie continue on their walk.

As they walk, they notice the city slowly awakening around them. The sun is higher in the sky, casting a warm glow over the streets. They see vendors selling their wares, and people going about their daily business. It saddens Charlie to see this crime-ridden, decrepit city full of drug-dealing (and doing) Sinners, who constantly get into fights. She shakes her head, knowing that she can't change the world, but she can change her own perspective. She thinks about her hotel project and how she can use her connections to help the people here.

As they walk, they notice a group of three sinners standing on the corner, eyeing them suspiciously. One of them, a tall, one-eyed muscular man with a scar on his cheek and claws, steps forward and says mockingly, "What are you ladies doing out here alone? Don't you know it's dangerous?" He takes a step closer to Charlie, his hand resting on the hilt of his knife. She can feel his aggression radiating off of him. Vaggie stands up straight, her fists clenched around her angelic spear.

"We're just passing through," she says coolly, pointing her weapon at him, her eyes never leaving the man. He takes a long look at the spear, admiring it, before backing away fearfully. "Hey. It's just a joke. Let's not get too serious." Then the three run away.

"Sure is a lot of crime here," Charlie says sadly.

Vaggie tells her, "Let's head back to the hotel and see what they've done to the place." Charlie and Vaggie take a taxi back to the hotel. As they walk through the front door, they are awestruck. The hotel is decorated in a Victorian style yet still unique, with gold and velvet everywhere. The walls are painted with loose drawings of circus creatures (per her father's design), and the ceiling is adorned with chandeliers. The room is filled with plush couches, chairs, and other comfy furniture, and the air is filled with the scent of lavender.

The windows are large and let in a lot of sunlight, and there are even a few plants in the room. Razzle and Dazzle are waiting for them in the lobby, a large smile on their faces as they greet Charlie and Vaggie. Charlie says, "Wow, guys, this place looks amazing, like brand new. This looks like practically a new hotel." They nod, their smiles growing wider. Angel walks in from another room, "Yeah, it's been redecorated to perfection, if I do say so myself. Granted, your stuffed animals wouldn't let me pick the furniture I wanted. But, whatever. By the way, I'm glad you're rich," he says unabashedly, gesturing to the gold and velvet decorations. Charlie hugs them all and pats Razzle and Dazzle on the head. Unfortunately, now the Hotel looks crappy and tacky.

She notices that Alastor still isn't back with Husk and Niffty, but she's too tired to worry. She tells everyone that she's beat and decides to hit the hay. She rides up the elevator with Vaggie. Charlie kisses Vaggie's cheek goodnight as Charlie continues to her floor and enters her room. She lays down in her bed, feeling the softness of the sheets against her skin. She closes her eyes and lets out a deep sigh, feeling content and at peace. As she drifts off to sleep, she reflects on the day's events.