Chapter 42: A Royal Meeting

When Charlie arrives at her father's palace, a twinge of anxiety grips her. The relationship between Charlie and Lucifer has always been complicated, leaving her unsure of what to expect. The palace is grand, adorned with marble pillars and statues that line the hallways. Paimon guides Charlie and her friends to Lucifer's large throne room, where he sits on his throne, petting Basil.

"Charlie!" Lucifer booms, standing up and striding over to her. He embraces her tightly, the power radiating off him. She weakly smiles, returning the hug, attempting to keep her nerves in check. "Hi, Dad."

Lucifer steps back, scanning her and her friends. "I see you've brought your little 'team,'" he says, his voice jovial.

She nods, trying not to let Paimon's earlier comment affect her. "Yes, I thought they should come along."

Lucifer turns his attention to her friends, his eyes lingering on Alastor. "Now, we've all met before, but why not have some real introductions?" he suggests, a sly grin spreading across his face.

"These are my friends and employees at the Hazbin Hotel," she says, introducing each of them.

"You've met Vaggie." Vaggie waves, and Lucifer replies, "Yes, your girlfriend!"

Charlie continues, "This is Angel Dust."

Lucifer taps his chin, "Hmm. Yes, I believe I've heard of you. I've never seen your work myself, being a proudly married man. But I can respect it; you mortals all have to make a living."

Charlie finishes, "And Husk, Niffty, and, of course, Alastor."

Lucifer nods, his grin still in place. "Well, it's always good to have connections in the right places," he says. "I must confess. We called you for a different reason."

She tilts her head, confused. He elaborates, "In truth. I wasn't entirely misleading. This is about royal duties, specifically high duties. Ones befitting the Princess of Hell. Last year, I let you off, and the years previously, I had just allowed you to skip. But this is important. Every year, on the day after the Extermination, I have a massive meeting with the other Sins and high-ranking Goetia. The topics vary, but it can be rather eventful." (To Paimon) "Wouldn't you say so, Paimon?"

Paimon nods. "Yes, sir. It's always a good time to discuss important matters."

Charlie asks, "What does this have to do with my friends?"

Lucifer responds, "Well, I figured that if this meeting went well, it would get your mind off this unpleasant Extermination business. Plus, it could be fun!"

Before she can respond, he continues announcing, "But let's not keep our guests waiting any longer!"

He leads the way to the next room, where the meeting is already in progress. Charlie, Lucifer, and Paimon enter the meeting room, leaving behind her friends.

As Charlie enters the room, the door closes behind her, and she suddenly gets very nervous. At the head of the table, Lucifer takes his seat. On his right sits Paimon. Charlie sits to his left.

Several Goetic princes and princesses take seats on the sides of the pentagramal table. On the opposite side of the table from her sits the Deadly Sins, Satan, Beelzebub, Mammon, Asmodeus, Leviathan, and Belphegor.

Charlie recalls seeing several people she couldn't immediately recognize outside the room, where she left her friends. She assumes that they must be acquaintances of the Sins or Goetia. Next to her sits a Goetic prince named Stolas.

Before the meeting starts, Charlie decides to talk to him, much to his nervousness and (unbeknownst to her) his father's displeasure. "Excuse me... uh..." she says, turning to him. Stolas' face turns bright red as he stammers out a response. "S-St-Stolas, my lady."