Chapter 14: Broken Windows, Shattered Feelings

Charlie hears a smashing sound, like a broken window, and rushes outside to see the cause.

Upon opening the door, Charlie sees the entire front of the hotel defaced by a mob of sinners. One taunts, "What's wrong, princess? Don't like seeing your shitty hotel made fun of?"

Another yells, "What kind of person, let alone the daughter of the Devil, would be naive and foolish enough to think that you stood a chance?"

The third jeers, "Why don't you run back to mommy? Or are you so much of a disappointment that you're not important enough for them?

A fourth taunts, "Or better yet. Why don't you come and attack me yourself? Or are too scared?"

Responding unshakably, Charlie says, "Do you know how painful it is seeing my people get slaughtered year after year? Despite centuries of death and suffering, I'm the only demon in power who bothers to help them! They can push me around, but I care about every single one of them, no matter how lost they may seem. Maybe you're right. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing. Maybe Heaven will never accept sinners. Maybe I can't (voice breaking) s- save them... But I'll never know until I try. I know there's still good in them. They just... Need someone to lift them up and give them a h- home... (clenches her fist) That's why... I will never stop believing in them!"

Momentarily hopeful, Charlie witnesses the sinners' laughter turn into mocking jeers. Suddenly, a massive portal opens, and Alastor, with a creepy smile, snatches up the sinners with tentacles, launching them across Pride. But she's heartbroken, she spilled her guts, and they just stomped on them. Charlie runs off to her room crying, leaving Alastor to deal with the remaining sinners and the group to clean the hotel.

As Charlie lies in bed, thoughts of constant failure race through her mind, questioning if trying to help sinners was wrong. The room is quiet, interrupted only by Charlie's heavy breathing and occasional sobs. Vaggie knocks on the door, concerned, "Hey." she says compassionately, "Are you okay? You seemed upset earlier. When you ran away,... crying."

Charlie takes a deep breath and admits, "I don't know what to do anymore. I keep trying to help the sinners, but it seems like they just don't want it. I don't know if I can keep fighting for them forever. Why are they so against someone that just wants to help them?"

Vaggie puts a comforting arm around Charlie, and pulls you close. "It's okay, mi amor. You don't have to understand everything right now.
Even if it seems like no one believes in you, the only thing is to believe in yourself. And to not focus of those that don't believe in you, but focus on those that do."

Charlie feels better momentarily, "Thank you Vaggie. But...who (believes in me)?"

Vaggie sits silently for a moment. Charlie continues, "Do you?"

Vaggie reveals her belief in Charlie, saying, "I believe in you, Charlie. And if you believe that this hotel will work, then I will believe in it."

She looks at Vaggie, grateful, "Thank you, Vaggie."

She smiles and places a hand on Charlie's cheek. "Of course, mi amor. I'm always here for you." Charlie smile back at her, feeling grateful for her support.

Charlie tells her, "I just hope that one day, there will be a place where everyone can be redeemed, where there's no need to kill or hurt others for pleasure or gain. Where everyone is accepted and loved for who they are."

Vaggie agrees, "We have a lot of work to do, but I believe that with your hard work and dedication, we can make a difference." She then hands Charlie a small box as a token of appreciation. Inside, Charlie finds a beautiful necklace with a heart charm adorned with a tiny diamond.

Vaggie also surprises Charlie with a deep blue dress, as a late birthday present. The dress, with silver accents flowing down like a river, fits perfectly. As Vaggie and Charlie share a tender moment, Vaggie expresses her love and support.

Later that night, as Charlie returns to the hotel lobby, Husk apologizes for getting drunk on the job. Angel, who returns exhausted, reveals he was "just out." Charlie doesn't press further, and everyone prepares for bed. Charlie bids everyone goodnight and heads upstairs with Vaggie.

In Charlie's room, Vaggie watches as Charlie prepares for bed. They share a tender moment, and as they lay together, Vaggie's whispers and breath calm Charlie, creating a quiet moment in the midst of the old building's occasional creaks.