Oh dear, I found kiddo

Leah had let Jess sleep in, knowing that she should take the chance of the young girl remaining asleep for as long as possible, her little sister had never been great at sleeping, ever since a young age. She took herself downstairs, preparing what was to her, an extravagant breakfast consisting of melons, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, grapes, bananas, and apples.

To anybody else, it was simply a fruit salad.

Leah plated up two separate bowls, a slightly larger one for hers in comparison to Jess' as she waited for the young girl to arrive downstairs. They had a little while to go until Leah was expected in at training, and so decided to embrace the extra time she had, scrolling through social media and liking every couple of posts she came across, that was, until her phone began to ring. An unknown number popped up on her screen, one that she hesitatingly answered after the 4th ring.

"Hello?"

"Hello, is this Miss Leah Williamson?"

"Speaking."

"Hi Miss Williamson, its Mr Grant, headteacher of Jessica's secondary school speaking here."

"Ah, right, what can I do for you, Mr Grant?"

"I just wanted to keep you informed on your younger sister and her stance at school. We have collectively made the decision to push Jessica's suspension back further?"

"Excuse me?"

"Considering her actions, and the time dates being close to the schools half term, we believe it's in Jessica's best interest for her to remain at home until after the half term, where she will be welcomed back for a fresh start."

"I appreciate your decision, however the amount of time Jessie's going to be missing from school is vital in her education. She needs to learn just like everybody else."

"I understand your concerns, Miss Williamson, however we don't feel it best if we welcome back Jessica so quickly. We believe that a change of attitude is required if she were to return, her behaviour has been unacceptable in recent times."

Leah rolled her eyes at the man on the phone, his pretentious answers to be a ridiculous solution to a situation that was so detailed and complex.

"Jessica isn't the perfect student, and I am aware that there are some changes required in her attitude, however I can't help but feel that this isn't one sided. A certain amount of support is required on your end to help assist Jessica within school as well. Jess has made some massive improvements, what are you doing at your school to ensure that her needs are being met?"

"I don't understand, Miss Williamson."

"Jessica can't help a lot of her actions, and we're finding a way around that, but it can only work if school is offering the same amount of support that we're putting in."

"Given her recent actions, we cannot see significant enough progress withing Jessica's attitude to justify offering her any extra support. We can only offer the same amount of help to Jessica as we can with every other student in this school, and she's currently choosing to not accept it."

"That's absurd! She requires extra support, it clearly states that in her plan!"

"I believe this conversation is going in circles, Miss Williamson, and so find it beneficial to end this phone call here. If you have any issues with Jessica's extended suspension, please contact the governors. I look forward to welcoming Jessica back after the half term."

And with that, Leah put the phone down on the headteacher, sighing at the slightly abrupt conversation. It had been just silly, but she knew it was something that she would be unable to fight against, simply concluding with the change in punishment. Jessica would appreciate being at home a little longer; she hated school, but the amount of education she was missing would have it's impacts, despite her being only in year 8. She ran her fingers through her hair, as she returned to her laptop, continuing her university studying that she had just started before her phone had rang, until she heard light footsteps coming down the stairs. She lifted her eyes, to be met with her younger sister, smaller than she usually appeared, her fine blonde hair sticking out like a mane. Her blue eyes were bagged, and the jumper she wore was practically a dress, dragging along behind her as she placed herself softly on Leah's lap.