kiddo needs help-part 1

Jess squirmed her way into the seat between Cloe and Kim on the subs bench, settling herself into place as she tried to calm her own depths of anxiety that were building in her stomach. Most of the other girls were already on the bench, Jess being the last out as she tried to convince herself of her own safety, only being able to make it out when Cloe made her way down to join her.

Her head was leant against Cloe's shoulder, trying to squash the pounding in her chest that was reaching new depths as she battled to keep her head facing forwards to watch Leah lead the team out the tunnel, rather than face to see if their mum was still behind her, praying that she wasn't. Her sister's usual firm game face was on, as she stood facing the subs bench, clearly in a focused zone beyond what Jess had seen from her, a determination that was unbreakable settled across her.

She felt Cloe reach across, intertwining her fingers into the kids as the Champions League tune started playing throughout the stadium, Jess moving to adjust her ear defenders slightly so that they sat more comfortable. 

Wolfsburg got kick off at the stadium, having been the first to choose as the away team, Jess not taking her eyes off Leah as she ran back into her position having shaken hands with the Wolfsburg captain, battling the urge to turn and look behind her, instead focusing on the ref's blow of the whistle.

There was only seconds until the first slide tackle came in, Lena Lattwein going straight in for Vic's ankles after she had dispossessed her, quickly setting the atmosphere for what was clearly going to be a brutal game. It descended soon after the free kick was taken, with fouls being given left right and centre to the clearly physical German side that was trying to combat the tactics of Arsenal. Jess had her eyes engraved on Leah practically the entire time, hoping that the simple sight of her older sister would help to quash and underwhelm the growth in her chest that had quickly become an almost pain, travelling it's way to her stomach. She knew she could breathe, but it still felt like she was fighting for air.

It was only when the crowd erupted into applause after Lotte sent the ball through Popp's legs 34 minutes in, that she could no longer suppress the urge to look behind her, lifting her head from Cloe's shoulder to turn and see behind her. Her extended family were still sat in their seats, engaged completely in the game, the only person missing from their seat, being her mum.

Biting her lip, Jess quickly turned to face the pitch once more, the ref's whistle distracting her line of sight after Beth had gone in for a challenge on Jonsdottir that had quickly earnt her a yellow card. She felt the panic grow, like a weed from inside that was rapidly turning into a poisonous plant, doing everything in her power to try and avoid the thoughts of her own mum, attempting her best to continue watching the game.

The girls formation, originally a counteractive one, had quickly transcended into an attacking formation in attempts to break Wolfsburg physicality, with Leah constantly pushing up. Jess directed her focus into analysing the tactics of the game, attempting to zone out everything around her, including Kim and Cloe's conversation. Instead, she watched as the fullbacks turned into wingbacks, trying her best to think through the logistics of each players movement. The only sound reaching her ears was the low pitched shouts coming from the managers box, Jonas' instructions clear enough to be echoed across the field for all the girls to hear. 

It was only when disaster struck, that Jess was clicked back into reality, with Manu being caught off her line, Alexandra Popp abusing the space left by the back line as she ran in behind, chipping the Arsenal goalkeeper to pull Wolfsburg ahead 1-0, just before half time hit. The ref blew her whistle almost immediately after Stina had retrieved the ball to the centre circle, indicating for half time, as all the girls stood from the subs bench, Jess included.