𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

Chapter Twenty

" icy needles"

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

.  . • ☆ . ° .• °:. *₊ ° . ☆

During Tallulah's time on summer break, Tallulah had gone back home. She returned to the small, colorful village she had grown up in, back to the small house she was raised in, back to the small forest of pines that lined her house, and back to the tiny cove she had spent her childhood summers playing in.

That is what she dreamt of now.

Just months ago, she had gained the memory of sitting in the sand, the tide washing over her bare feet. The cold sting of the water shooting the needles of frozen water over her feet. She could feel it in her dreams, the repetitive pattern coursing over and over herself again.

She could still feel her fingers digging slightly into the sand, the grainy feeling beneath her fingertips. Tallulah in the dream opened her mouth to breathe from instead of her nose; she could taste the salt in the air, could feel the sea sink deep into her bones. The crashing over the water made the dream seem even realer.

The girl could hear the gulls flying overhead, their calls echoing in her ears. She lay there on the beach for a while before the clouds in the sky started getting darker and closer together, getting rid of the blue that was once there. Dark grey covered the sky like sheets on a mattress.

The water that was once around the girl's feet were now noticeably getting closer to her thighs. She tried to get up from her spot, but her hands sunk into the sand. She forcibly tried to remove them, but it was as if the sand had turned to a solid once her hands had slipped in.

The icy cold water was now up to her belly button, sending shivers down her spine. She twisted and turned trying to get up from the spot on the beach. It was no use. The gulls were still cawing overhead, circling her above. Were they just gulls?

Small droplets of water were now hitting the surface of the water above. The water surface getting farther and farther above her reach. Finally, the darkness took over from her dream, and Tallulah jolted awake.

The girl woke up in cold, shaking sweat, her breathing coming in uneven gasps. Her eyes traveled to the figure still asleep under the covers next to her, Davis. The boy she had met back home... he was still fast asleep. She carefully got up from her spot on the bed, the moonlight pouring in from the open window being the only source of light to the girl as she crept out of bed.