38: Arshia in a turmoil

Arshia was leaning against the wall with the scroll clutched tightly in her hands. Her eyes were fixed on the ground and she had no idea what step to take after this.

The twins and Vrishaketu were the only ones who were clueless about the situation taking into consideration that they had just returned from the markets of Indraprastha.

"Arshia Jyesth,what is the issue?" Sahadev broke the cold and distant silence. Arshia's eyes fluttered at Vrishaketu and tears formed in her eyes. She was glad that Vrishaketu failed to notice it.

"Arshia, would you please read the letter again?" Yudhishthir asked,his voice void of any emotion. Arshia gulped and opened the scrunched up letter and started

"Dear Arshia,
I am saddened to inform you that
I have left the royal duties of Ang Pradesh and now I am merely a sut-putra.
I am ashamed to request you to stay with your brothers for a while,just for your comfort and safety.
I apologise for making such a huge decision without consulting you.
I hope you are happy in Indraprastha with your brothers and sisters.

Your husband,
Maharathi Karna"

The room was,once again,covered in cold and distant silence. Vrishaketu, being young and naive, couldn't register the heavy words his mother used and simply because he was a bit absent-minded. He felt Nakul's grip on his loosen as he stared up to his face and then everyone in the room.

Everyone had the same expression except his dear mother,who had a rather calm face.

The only thing he understood was 'Maharathi Karna'. Why did his father introduce him as Maharathi Karna and not Angraj Karna?

"Mata?I don't understand this letter by my father" Vrishaketu innocently asked. A warm and delicate expression took over Arshia's face as she walked to him and sat on a knee in front of him,to match his eye-level.

She gently rested her palm on Vrishaketu's cheek and smiled at him.

"Dear,your father is free of the Kauravas. He is no longer in debt. He is no longer the king of Ang Pradesh"

Vrishaketu paused.

Why was his mother saying this in such a happy and calm tone? Wasn't this something to be concerned about?They were void of all the luxury and advantages a royal gets.

Arshia let Vrishaketu decide if the information she shared was positive or negative. She walked to Yudhishthir and bowed her head, joining her palms.

"I am ashamed to ask you this but could Vrishaketu stay in Indraprastha for a while?Until everything is solved in Hastinapur?I shall promise-"

"Mourn!(Silence)" Yudhishthir raised his voice. His brothers, Subhadra and Draupadi stared at him shocked. It wasn't everyday you witnessed Yudhishthir raise his voice.

"Look up Arshia" she did like she was ordered.

"You are our sister. You supported us when no one did. That's what a family does,Arshia and family don't join their palms and seek refuge. You have a right,you have a right to stay in Indraprastha!" Yudhishthir gently patted Arshia's head,his voice calming down.

Arshia rested her arms beside her and she smiled at Yudhishthir.

"I thank you for giving me such a high position in your hearts. Let Vrishaketu stay in Indraprastha for a while and once everything is settled Vrishaketu shall go back-"

"Why go back? Sut-putra Karna has reannounced his kingdom and my sister and nephew shall not suffer due to this!You and Vrishaketu shall live in Indraprastha forever!" Bheem said arrogantly.