35: Vrishaketu is curious

The warm glow of the sun cast over the Hastinapur palace as Bhishma and Vrishaketu spend their time in the pretty and heart-warming royal garden of the palace.

Arshia entered the garden with a hint of anger in her expressions and with a bowl of food, probably for her son. Making her way to the duo,she wished Bhishma a good morning and sought his blessings. She passed a glare at Vrishaketu,who clutched tightly on Bhishma's hand.

"Mahamahim,look how mata is looking at me. Do something please!" Vrishaketu whispered as Bhishma bit back a smile.

"Arshia why are you glaring at my son like that?" Bhishma feigned fake anger. Arshia rolled her eyes at the duo's tactics and replied "Mahamahim it has been one day and you are already protecting him without knowing"

Bhishma turned to Vrishaketu and ruffled his hair saying "An hour is enough,Putri Arshia when the kid is like Vrishaketu" He smiled.

"Mahamahim he hasn't eaten his breakfast yet. After he came back from Surya Deva Puja,he went straight to you. " Bhishma glared at Vrishaketu. "Son it's not healthy to not eat."

"Mahamahim" Vrishaketu whined. Bhishma shook his head and took the bowl of food from Arshia's hand. He lifted the spoon up to Vrishaketu's mouth as he obediently ate. If Arshia had a camera now,she would have taken millions of photos to capture the moment she was viewing at the moment.

"Mahamahim,where are Lakshman and Lakshmana?" Arshia questioned as Vrishaketu's ears perked up.

"Chachi,we are here!How could you have not visited us yesterday?!" Two voices mixed,called out Arshia. She turned to see the twins as a huge smile adorned her face.

The ten-year olds grinned and rushed to Arshia who opened her arms wide open for them. They tightly hugged her and whispered greetings.

"Maa,you know mata and pita are sending me to Kanya Kul and Bharta to Gurukula soon?!I don't want to go!" Lakshmana whined, pulling away from the hug.

"Lakshmana, it's for your betterment. When you come back,with the training,you would have your own identity. You would be known as Rajkumari Lakshmana of Hastina not the daughter of the Yuvraj of Hastina. So it's for you,okay?" Lakshmana happily nodded at Arshia.

Arshia turned to Lakshman and hugged him.

She had a soft spot for both of them and loved them equally. They sometimes even call her maa! But Lakshman was a bit different. Lakshmana was open-hearted and mingled with her perfectly but Lakshman was rather reserved and,at first, didn't mingle with her and was rather fond of Karna. Everyone has a character development, don't they?

Even Lakshman had one.

"Maa,why didn't you visit Hastinapur over the last two years?" Lakshman pulled away and asked. Arshia smiled and turned to Vrishaketu,who was curiously looking at the twins. Lakshmana's eyes twinkled as she went to Vrishaketu. She greeted Bhishma and looked at Vrishaketu.

Vrishaketu jumped off the swing and bent down to seek her blessings. Lakshmana smiled brightly and kneeled to match his height, eventually hugging him. Lakshman came and joined the hug.

"You look so much like uncle Karna" They pulled away and Lakshman commented. Vrishaketu innocently smiled and nodded at Lakshman. "Wow,aunt. He is so handsome" Lakshman glared at his sister and gently hit her head, standing up.

"Lakshmana we have to go. Mata was calling us" Turning his gaze to Vrishaketu,he continued "Vrishaketu,we will meet you after a bit" Lakshmana pouted but followed her twin.

"Mata,they are Yuvraj Duryodhan's children?" Vrishaketu asked curiously. "Yes baccha." The kid nodded and went to Bhishma, streching his arms. Bhishma smiled and picked him up, placing him on his lap.

"Putri,you should visit Indraprastha. The Pandavas wanted to see you" Bhishma informed. Vrishaketu's curious eyes met Arshia's eyes as he tilted his head.

"I will visit them, Mahamahim"

"Mata,who are the Pandavas?" Vrishaketu asked once he noticed that no was acknowledging his curiosity. Bhishma widened his eyes and looked at Arshia. "You didnt tell your son about you brothers?"

"You have brothers mata?!" Vrishaketu asked surprised. "Dharma-brothers,putra. Meaning I consider them as my brothers and they consider me as their sister" Vrishaketu didn't seem satisfied with Arshia's answer. He lowered his face and went into deep thought.

"Son,do you want to go to Indraprastha?To your uncles?" Bhishma asked. "Maha-"

"Yes, Mahamahim!I would love to!"

.
.

"No Vrishaketu,you are not going to Indraprastha" Arshia shook her head, releasing her arrow which struck the target perfectly. "Mata!Even I want to see my Pandav uncles!You know I heard that Rajkumari Draupadi is one of the most beautiful woman on planet earth!And Rajkumar Nakul is the most handsome man on planet earth!The valour of Rajkumar Arjun and Rajkumar Bheem doesn't fail reaching Anga!The talks of Rajkumar Sahadev's knowledge shines in Aryavart and the oldest, Yuvraj Yudhishthir is famous in Aryavart for his sense of dharma! I want to meet them" Vrishaketu sta in the floor and breathed heavily, feeling the absence of air in his lungs.

Arshia sighed and made her bow dissapear. She bent down and titled her head at her son's whiny nature. Ruffling his hair,she mumbled "can't beleive you are just 2 years old"

"Arshe,let him accompany you to Indraprastha. He has been whining since morning" Karna said, entering the scene. Arshia looked up and shaked her head. "I don't want him to travel too much Arya. " Turning to Vrishaketu,she continued "You have Lakshman and Lakshmana here,you have no one in Indraprastha dear. Only elders."

Vrishaketu shaked his head,tears forming in his eyes.

"Arshe, nothing will happen to him" Karna said, bending down beside Arshia. "Karna,if you would have accompanied me to Indraprastha,I surely would have taken him along. We have enemies and I don't think me going to Indraprastha would be a secret, considering Mahamahim had already sent the letter and it must have reached them. What id someone attacks us and I am unable to protect us,will you be able to forgive us?"

A moment of silence took over them.

"Don't you flaunt that you are Vasudev's sakhi? Don't you believe in him?Do you think he would let anything happen to you?

Do you think I would let anything happen to the both of you?

Never. So don't worry and take him with you. You are an accomplished warrior yourself,Arshia. I am sure Vrishaketu would be under no threat anyways" Arshia sighed and nodded at his words.

Vrishaketu wiped his tears and looked at his mother excitedly.

"I am going to Indraprastha?!"

Arshia nodded. He jumped up from his place and hugged his father, mumbling 'Thank you'.

Karna wrapped his arms around Arshia and pulled her into the hug. Vrishaketu wrapped one arm around Arshia and pulled his parents closer, mumbling a million 'Thank You's'.

Arshia hugged both of them tightly, thinking

"They are the best thing that happened to me,in this yug"

.
.
.

Thank you!
Enjoy reading!
Vote.

(Vrishaketu-Bhishma, everyone!
Who do you think will mingle with Vrishaketu in Indraprastha?)