51: Convincing Draupadi

Arshia stood beside Bhanumati with a gloomy expression. Karna was rather absent minded. Duryodhana looked at him in a sense of worry and rested his palm on his shoulder.

"Mitr,are you okay?" A worried Duryodhana asked. Karna gave him a tiny smile and nodded at him. He looked forward to see the Pandavas entering the palace. His feet seemed to have been glued to the ground and his mind almost went blank.

Kunti and Draupadi stepped out and were showered with flowers as they made their way up. Yudhishthir and Draupadi led as the others followed behind. Dhritarashtra started his melo-dramatic speech to which Arshia turned a blind eye.

Arshia lifts her gaze up to see Duryodhana talking to Draupadi with an evil glint in his eyes and joined hands. Soon Shakuni interupted and invited them to enter the palace. She hufffed and stayed behind until all of them went away. Karna glanced at her and followed Duryodhana.

Arshia saw Draupadi's eyes widen in shock as her hands rested infront of her body.

"I think,I think I have started mensurating." Draupadi whispered so that it could be only audible to Gandhari and Kunti. Kunti covered her and asked her sons to proceed with Draupadi.

"Arshia,take her to the women's quater. It's her day of the month" Kunti said, making sure no men heard her. Arshia obeyed and gestured Draupadi to follow her.

.

"Stay here. I will ask the dasis to get you ready for your mensuration time" Arshia said like a robot. Draupadi confusingly nodded at her. When Arshia was about to leave, Draupadi stopped her.

"What's wrong Arshia?" Draupadi asked. "I don't think we should waste more time now,or else your royal outfit will be stained in blood" Arshia replied walking out.

"Not like it will make a difference with the already blood red attire" Arshia thought.

.

"Arshia,you can voice your thoughts out. You don't seem comfortable" Draupadi said with an encouraging glint in her eyes. She was wearing a thin light brown saree with thin undergarments.

(I know women,at that time, didn't even wear undergarments during mensturating,I read it in Draupadi's book. But we will change this minor detail. I hope everyone's okay with it)

"Do you think Yuvraj really laid forward a peace treaty?" Arshia asked, keeping Draupadi's jewellery. Draupadi frowned. "I mean, didn't Vasudev tell you anything?" Arshia turned to her.

"He did. He talked in riddles and I concluded that he was speaking of the future time. But when the invitation for this game came in,I thought that Govind meant this moment. I asked Arya Yudhishthir to deny the invitation but he said that it was a matter of pride and self-confidence,so I couldn't speak further.

So is something bad going to happen?"

Arshia stared at her,not giving an answer.

"Why did you come?Why didn't you stay back in Indraprastha,if you felt this way?" Arshia asked. "I couldn't,I had obey Arya's words"

"But Samrat Yudhishthir doesn't..." Arshia took a deep breath in and out, trying to control herself from revealing the future. She bent down infront of Draupadi and grabbed her hands.

"Go back to Indraprastha, Draupadi jiji. Go back" Draupadi stared at Arshia in shock. "I can't,I am mensturating"

"I will be by your side, covering you and protecting you from the whole world. I will make sure no one is even glancing at you,just go back" Arshia's eyes watered. "Why are you so desperate Arshia?What is going to happen?" Draupadi asked, wiping off the tear that escaped Arhsia's eyes.

"I am afraid if I don't protect you know,I can't protect you from what will come after this. It's my promise,jiji!I will make sure no one even knows that you are in the castle!I will inform them once I return from Indraprastha!I will do whatever you demand,just go back!" Arshia said, desperation clear in her tone.

"I can't leave Arshia,Arya would be dissapointed in me" Draupadi reasoned. "But tell me what is going to happen?Give me one reason to leave and I will flee away"

"I-I can't tell you" Arshia said, taking back her hands. Draupadi sighed and looked down,not knowing what to say. Arshia stood up,with a grim and sour expression. "Tell me if you change your mind. Be quick jiji,or you might regret it"

Arshia walked out, leaving Draupadi to drown in confusion.

.

Arshia spend her time in the training room, trying to keep her mind occupied but she failed miserably. Nor was she striking the target or was she doing the proper moves. It was just her swinging her sword in the air or wasting her arrows.

Arshia stared outside and it seemed as if only 30 minutes where passed. So,she decided to go to Draupadi and check up on her. Making her weapons dissapear,she walked out and made her way to the women's private quaters.

"Did you make up your mind?" Arshia asked, entering Draupadi's room to see her in seep thought. "I don't have a reason Arshia,how can I go away?"

"You are mensurating,that should be a solid reason" Arshia said in an obvious tone. Draupadi sighed and shook her head. "I can't,I am sorry"

Draupadi turned away.

"Fine"

Arshia mumbled and walked to her. "How are you?Is everything okay?I mean it's the worst time of the month" Arhsia shrugged, sitting near her feet. Draupadi looked down and put her hand on top of Arshia's head. "Even if I sense something bad is going to happen,you are here with me and I have no reason to fear"

Arshia tiredly smile at her and nodded.

"Hail the empress. Hail the queen of Anga" A dasi entered the chamber. "Yes?"

"It's an order from the Grandsire that the royal women are not allowed in the court while the dice game is going on. If you want,we can present you with music and jewellery" A smile covered Draupadi's face as she looked at Arshia. "Now nothing wrong can happen!We can't enter the court while the game is going on!"

But Arshia didn't seem to be at ease.

"Can female servents be in court while the game is going on?" Arshia asked, sitting up straight. The dasi nodded in reply. Arshia sighed and dismissed the dasi.

"Why that question,Arsh?" Draupadi asked. "Seriously?Arsh?" Arshia raised her eyebrow. "It's cool,but now answer me"

"For general knowledge" Arshia shrugged and stood up. "Where are you going?" Draupadi asked.

"No where. In the castle itself. Have to complete some Anga work" Arshia stated. Draupadi pouted but understood her responsibility as queen and let her leave.

Draupadi looked at the mirror and mumbled

"Govind,you are with us?Right?"

.
.
.
.

Thank you!