25:To Hastinapur

The following morning was rather unpleasant for the duo. They had woken up to the news that Duryodhana was urgently calling Karna to Hastinapur.

"Arshia,are you sure you want to travel with me?You can always stay back" A worried tone spoke to Arshia. She shook her head. "I would like to travel to Hastinapur, Angraj. I could feel the distress from the letter itself." Karna sighed knowing she would never agree with him.

"Why a horse?why not a palanquin?or even a chariot?It will be tiring." Karna worried. "Angraj,I enjoy riding the horse and I don't think my way of transportation is the real concern here. We should proceed" Arshia said climbing her horse. When she saw Karna's chariot move forward,she pulled the leather thick strap around the horse's neck and proceeded to Hastinapur.

.

When they arrived at Hastinapur, Duryodhana's angered and distressed expression tensed Karna. Climbing down his chariot and momentarily forgetting Arshia who was behind him. He placed his hand on Duryodhana's shoulder and whispered something to him. Arshia climbed down her horse and stood in the distance, caressing her horse's mane. She saw how tensely and angrily Duryodhana talked with Karna. Duryodhana's eyes fell on Arshia,the anger in his eyes reflecting on her. The grip she had on the horse's neck strip tightened. The horse's groan snapped her out of the intense eye contact as she hurriedly turned her attention to the horse and caressed it apologetically.

Karna turned to Arshia and as if it was some connection,Arshia nodded at him knowing what Karna's current situation was. She entered the palace and kept it in Hastina's stable. She fixed her outfit and entered the palace. She scanned the palace, remembering the happy moments she had in this very palace.

"Putri Arshia?" A thick and heavy voice called her out. She turned around to see Vidur making his way to her. She smiled at him and walked to him. Taking the blessings of Vidur,she said "Pranipat Mahamantri"

"Kalyan ho,Putri. You could have informed us that you were coming to Hastinapur" Vidur laid out his concern. "Mahamantri, Yuvraj Duryodhana had urgently called Angraj to Hastinapur and I decided to tag along." Arshia said calmly.

"But I am worried,putri Arshia. Duryodhana is not taking this well and over that he has called Angraj to Hastinapur." Vidur said "Mahamantri, worrying gets one no where. Who knows what's going on in Gandharaj's wicked mind?" Arshia said, worriedly. She turned towards the Hastinapur yard, failing to recall what was supposed to happen now.

"Putri,I have to proceed. Do you want to go to Maharani Gandhari?" Vidur asked. Arshia shook her head negatively and let him proceed to his work.

"Duryodhana! Stop!" Dhritarashtra's worried and hurried scream caught Arshia off guard. She turned to the sound and saw Dhritarashtra stopping Duryodhana from performing the Ashvamedha Yagna. She hurried to the place and heard Duryodhana saying

"I can't live after this insult!Today either this horse's head is going to be cut off or my head!...or the third way,declare me king by today"

Her hands fell cold as her brain failed to recall what was supposed to happen after this incident. She rubbed her hands together, trying to regain the warmth. Karna's distressed mind flashed infront of her eyes and her heart beats fasten. Duryodhana looked up to make eye-contact with Arshia. She joined her hands and bowed her head, showing courtesy. He evily smiled back. 

Gulping the saliva which had gathered near her throat because of tension,she turned her heels and walked away,unable to bear the scene that was playing infront of her.

.

"What happens after this?" Arshia thought walking mindlessly in the corridors of Hastinapur. She played with her fingers and her gaze seemed to have been fixed on the ground.

"Putri Arshia!Walk carefully!" Vidur stopped her. Arshia lifted her gaze to see a pillar,a centimetre away from from her face. Subconsciously she took a few steps back and rubbed her forehead. She turned to Vidur and mumbled a thank you to him. Roaming her eyes behind him,she saw a chariot and people getting ready to leave. She looked at Vidur and saw he,too,was ready and was leaving somewhere.

She turned her gaze to the sun and then to him.

"Mahamantri, please don't take offense in me asking you this. But shall I know where you are proceeding at such a time?"

"Arshia,I am going to Panchal."

Vidur stopped and choose not to continue anymore. Arshia widened her eyes and realised what were the events that were going to occur after this.

"Draupadi"

.

"Maharani Gandhari! Careful!" Arshia warned, running to her and grabbing her shoulders. She looked at the Queen's face and knew that Dhritarashtra had made up his mind that Duryodhana would be the king of Hastinapur by today itself. Gandhari was in a state of distress and had tripped.

"Putri Arshia!What is this?!" Gandhari exclaimed, standing up alright. "How can Duryodhana simply ask his own parents to take up sanyas?Just to gain the title of 'king'!What is this adharm Arshia" Gandhari cried.

Arshia stared at her in pity.

"Maharani Gandhari,I shouldn't be someone who should interfere into the matters of the Hastina court. I am just—"

"You are my putr's best friends' wife!You are Angrani!You are popular in the whole of Aryavart because of widespread knowledge on politics and your beauty! You are Vasudev Krishna's sakhi!You are Narayan's sakhi!Your sole name stands for Dharma! Please do something,Putri Arshia" Gandhari joined her hands. Arshia covered the Queen's hand with her hand and shaked her head. She softly said "Have faith on the supreme lord,Maharani. If you think this is adharma and have enough will power to justify why Yuvraj being crowned king of Hastinapur would be adharma,the supreme lord will grant you all your wishes" Gandhari sniffed and nodded at her.

"Dasi,make sure maharani safely reaches her chamber. Maharani, everything is going to be alright and if at the end, Yuvraj gets crowned king know it was what bhagwan Narayan wanted"

She turned her heels and walked away, feeling the heaviness in her heart.

.

"Angrani, you are requested in the royal court to experience Yuvraj Duryodhana's crowning ceremony"

.
.
.

Thank you!
Enjoy Reading!
Vote.