*25* What do you know about him?

“If you want to be with him, he will have to go through our trials,” Father Mile was adamant.  Fourth grimaced.  His father's servant placed a cup of tea with ice cubes on a low, dark, heavy-looking bench in front of him.  It was hot and Fourth actually wanted a refreshment, but he didn't want to do it in front of his fathers, especially Mile.  He was still furious that his father's men had brought him here, to their house, which he no longer wanted to have anything to do with and which he wanted to forget.

“Father Mile…” He started, but father Apo cut him off.

“Understand, son, that this is for your own good.  How sure are you that you can trust him?  How sure are you that he won't reveal our secrets?  I don't care if he's a boy, although I must admit I'd rather you had a girlfriend, but it's all about trust.  Is nothing reaching you?  Have you forgotten who we are? He may destroy us, destroy everything we've been working for for so long and so hard!”

“I-I... I trust him...”

“You trust him! Great, but we don't.  What do you really know about him?”

“Well... He's a musician and actor, right?  He has two older brothers, Dunk and Phuwin.  Dunk is studying medicine, Phuwin is…” He hesitated.  Wait, who is Phuwin?  They had never really talked about it honestly, and Fourth suddenly realized how little he knew about Gemini, his life, and his family.  He only knew that the three of them lived only with their mother, the father had left for another woman, and Gemini didn't have a good relationship with his mother and believed that the reason for this was his own resemblance to his father.

“That's right, son, that's what I was talking about.  You don't know anything about him.  Therefore, he must go through the tests we have prepared for him and must complete these tasks.  If he doesn't do this, he will never be trustworthy in our eyes”.

“It's not fair.”

“That's very fair.  It would have been different if you hadn't told him who we were.  Why did you tell him about it?”

“I-I…” Fourth was at a loss for words and courage.  He found father Mile scarier than ever.  Not a single complete sentence escaped his constricted throat.  To buy time, he reached for a glass of tea and took a few sips.

He knew that the tasks prepared by his fathers were difficult, requiring courage, bravery, loyalty and ingenuity.  They also required something else.  Resistance to pain and stress.  However, he didn't regret telling Gem the truth about his family.  His boyfriend, before he was his boyfriend, deserved to know the truth, and Fourth couldn't lie for very long, he was never as good an actor as Gemini, even if he tried.  He didn't want to lie to the person he cared about most in the world.

“Gemi is an artist, dad, if you hurt him and leave any marks on his body, people will ask questions”. Fourth grabbed the last resort, addressing Apo directly.

“It's difficult, I get it, but...  Boy, it's time for you to understand that your loved one has a choice: you or his career and his comfortable life.  If he is a coward, if he chooses his own life, if he is afraid to take risks, it means he is not worthy of you.  My son deserves someone who will never betray him, who will be loyal and who will know his place in the line.  If this boy doesn't get things done, don't count on him being able to handle life as your boyfriend.  Don't forget who you are, who we all are.  We are the people who have real power in this country, the happiness or misfortune of these ordinary, gray people of Thailand depends on us, we can make their lives happy or turn it into a real hell.  Does your boyfriend know about your position in this world?  Did you tell him you were also trained to hurt and kill?”

Fourth looked away.  Mile's father's words hurt him.  He didn't want to remember that.  Every time he spent time with Gemini, he could forget about it.  Gem gave him the sense of freedom he lacked, allowed him to be fully himself.  With young Tangsakyuen, he felt as if he was finally breathing fully for the first time, and his heart repeatedly became a light butterfly flapping its small but strong wings.