Chapter 23

Izayoi's P. O. V:

We were all still upset over what happened with Hinata as Naruto stands off to the side and I remain close to Kakashi.

Shikamaru was saying to the Akimichi, "Whoa, Choji. Glad I'm not you. I mean, you've still got the toughest ones left. I wouldn't want to face any of them. That creepy guy from the Sound Village, and Rock Lee's gotta be tough if he took on Sasuke. Then there's that black haired girl from Kei's team who we know nothing about and Mika. And especially not that Sand Village guy. I don't even like being in the same room with him."

Choji groans as he sinks to the floor, gripping the bars, "I'm not feeling so good! Maybe I ought take go ahead and forfeit right now!"

"But!" Asuma cuts in, gaining his attention. "You know if you win, I can take you for barbecue?"

"Whaaa?! Come on!"

Asuma steps up to him and crouches beside the brunette, resting an elbow on his knee. He says encouragingly, "Choji! Come on! Don't worry. If it gets bad, we'll step in and stop the fight, just like with Hinata, ok? Think of it. All the short ribs you can eat..."

I glance over as Asuma continues to bribe Choji.

Fire seems to burn in Choji's eyes and he lets out a battle cry.

"NOW YOU'RE TALKING!! ALL YOU CAN EAT! BRING IT OOONNN!!"

I hear Kankuro murmur, "I'm still curious about that Neji guy." He shifts his gaze from me to Naruto, now standing off by himself on the other end of the balcony. "Yeah. That might work!"

He begins to make his way over when Temari questions, "Where are you going?"

Kankuro responds flippantly, holding his hand hand up in a wave, "Just doing a little recon. I'll be back!" A pause. "Hey, you!" Naruto turns his head to see Kankuro walk up the stairs towards him. "How come you're all by yourself? Why aren't you hanging with your buddies?"

"What's it to you?" Naruto asks.

Kankuro speaks up, "So tell me something about this guy, Neji. I get the feeling we didn't get to see the full extent of his powers in the last fight, did we? What's his story?"

"I'M GONNA PULVERISE HIM, THAT'S HIS STORY!!" Naruto declares angrily, fist in front of him.

Kankuro deadpans, "Okay, but that's not quite what I meant." Naruto breathes heavily from suppressed anger. Kankuro cocks his head, smiling. "You know, you seem like a nice guy. I like you." He has a little blush towards me.

Naruto retorts, "Well, don't take this the wrong way, but I don't like you!!" Naruto turns to glare at him. They stare each other down.

Guy cheers, "Aaallrriigghhtt! This time, you'll be picked. I just know it! Are you ready, Lee?!" He gives a thumbs up.

"No!" Says Lee, much to our shock. He folds his arms behind his back. "I have been waiting so long, I do not care! I might as well go last!" He turns his nose up at this notion.

When Hayate lets out a couple of coughs, we look back at him as he says, "Now, then. We'll continue the competition."

The names change on the board.

Temari turns when Gaara puts his hand in a hand sign and disappears in a swirl of sand. The redhead reappears in the arena, saying, "Well, come on! Let's do this!"

Choji gives a cry of joy as he cheers, throwing out his arms, "SAFE AGAIN!!"

Ino hits his head as she snaps, "Stop that!!"

Shikamaru does the same as he adds, "Do you want everyone to know you're a chicken?!"

For the next match is....

Rock Lee

VS

Gaara of the Desert.

Sakura gasps, jerking her head to him, "Lee!"

Throwing out a kick, the ravenette says, "It worked like a charm! I knew I'd I said I wanted to be last, I would be next! I simply applied the principle that states that sometimes, the surest way to hit something is to stop trying to hit it!" He sets his leg down and switches to punching the air. "It is a form of reverse psychology!"

"Hooaahh! That's my student!" Exclaims Guy, clenching a fist. Sakura and Kakashi deadpan as I do.

"I was absolutely not going to be last, no matter what! Hahaha! I sure fooled them, did I not?!"

Guy says as he leans towards his student, "Now, then, Lee, listen carefully. A piece of advice before you begin."

Lee salutes him as he says, "Sir!!"

"Look!" They both peer at the redhead waiting in the arena. "You see that gourde that Gaara is wearing? Watch out! There's something weird about it!"

"Good advice, Sir!" Says Lee as he takes out a notepad and pen.

"Don't write it down! What are you thinking?! After all, you're not going to have time reading the notes during the match, are you?!" Guy chides him.

"Huh! More good advice!" Gasps Lee as he writes it down as well.

I think with a deadpan expression, "I hope Lee will be alright...though, for some reason, I have a bad feeling..."

Guy cheers as he clenches his fist and points to the arena, giving a sparkling grin, "NOW ROCK... AND ROOOLLL!!"

With fire burning in his eyes, Lee shouts eagerly as he launches himself over the railing, "YEEEAAAHHH!!" He lands in a crouch before straightening and getting into his usual stance, smiling widely. "I knew that sooner or later that we would have to meet, and I am glad that it is sooner!"

Kankuro states, "I don't know what kind of moves that kid with the dumb haircut has got, but he'll never take Gaara down, not in this lifetime."

Naruto says, "Wrong!!"

"What?!" Kankuro exclaims, turning his head to Naruto.

"Lee's stronger than you think. You have no idea!"

Lee holds out his hand and catches the cork from Gaara's gourde. "Why are you in such a hurry?" He inquires, dropping the cork.

 "Why are you in such a hurry?" He inquires, dropping the cork

I think wearily, "Be careful!"

As sand begins to seep from Gaara's gourde, Hayate says, holding out a hand, Alright, then. If you are both ready... begin!!"

With one hand behind his back, Lee takes a running start towards Gaara.