Chapter 40

Izayoi's P. O. V:

We walk in relatively peaceful silence. I'm beside my husband with Kasumi behind us, lost deep in thought about the upcoming mission.

I hear Asuma whisper to Kasumi, "Does Izayoi seem a bit... tense... to you?"

"She does," The blonde agrees.

Kurenai murmurs, "I can't imagine what must be going through her head right now."

Naruto mumbles, "I wonder what's up with Izayoi Sensei?"

Amaya says thoughtfully, "I'm not sure, but I get the feeling it has something to do with Yugure. Maybe she has some form of connection to them?"

Everyone falls silent once more as we continue the journey.

When the sun starts setting, I announce, turning to the Genin and other adults, "I think we should rest here for the night." The Genin groan as some of them drop to the ground out of exhaustion. "Let's get a fire going for dinner. I'll cook."

Kurenai offers, "I'll help, if you want?"

I smile appreciatively at her as I say, "Thanks, Kurenai."

While everyone else sets up sleeping bags, she and I catch fish and start cooking rice and some vegetables if brought with me. I also mix herbs and spices into it.

"Are you feeling alright?" Kurenai asks as we cook dinner. "You've been rather quiet all day."

"I'm fine, Kurenai," I tell her assuringly. "I'm just thinking about the mission. You know Mikoto Senju killed my parents."

"I know."

We soon finish cooking dinner and everyone gathers around the fire, grabbing a bowl of food.

After taking a few bites, Naruto says in awe, "This is delicious, Izayoi Sensei! Kurenai Sensei!"

"Thank you. We're glad you're enjoying it," I say with a smile. Kakashi throws me a wide smile from behind his mask to which I blush at.

He always compliments on how delicious my cooking is at home.

We eat the rest of the food and I say as I stand up, hands on my hips, "We need someone for sentry duty lookout." At this, all the Genin groan. "Who's going first?"

Sasuke just sighs and steps forward before going over to lean against a tree. I guess that settles it.

The rest of us get into our beds, with mine being next to Kakashi's.

Kakashi's P. O. V:

I was in bed, a few minutes later, when I turn over to find my wife is already asleep.

"Huh. Already asleep," I think as I reach out to brush back some hair.

I blink my eye when she moves closer to me. I smile as I wrap my arms around Izayoi. She immediately relaxes.

I eventually go back to sleep, as well.

Izayoi's P. O. V:

I wake up just before everyone else and get started on breakfast. Kurenai soon wakes up and offers to help finish.

By the time we have breakfast cooked, everyone else was out of bed.

I take two bowls of rice and egg rolls before I go over to my husband. I hand him one with a smile which he takes, smiling back at me. I sit next to him as we eat contentedly, the others enjoying the food too.

After tidying up camp, my group and I bound through the trees for the outpost town. We reach it by around lunchtime and pause.

"The last time I saw the group was at a tavern I stopped at," I say. "But I don't think they'd be there anymore."