Chapter 48

Izayoi's P. O. V:

I cut down the assassin with Shoten and he gives a cry of pain.

I straighten up and let out a breath. I've been on this S Rank mission the last three days. I grab my cart of luggage from the hotel and head back to the Hidden Leaf.

🗡️🗡️🗡️

"What?! You sent Genin after Sasuke?" I exclaim after I'd given the Hokage my report band she'd told me how the Uchiha defected the village three days ago to go to Orochimaru.

After knocking out Sakura who'd tried to stop him the night Sasuke had left.

Shikamaru, who'd been made Chunin, had formed a retrieval squad of Naruto, Kiba, Choji, Neji, Kai and Hiro, and they'd all gotten seriously injured.

Neji and Choji had both nearly died.

They'd failed in bringing the Uchiha back, though.

Tsunade murmurs, fingers threaded together, "I had no choice. I couldn't send the rest of the Jounin and Chunin out, while most of them are on missions, including yourself and Kakashi. I'd called for aid from the Hidden Sand Village, and Gaara, Kankuro and Temari went to help the Genin and Shikamaru."

I turn sharply on my heel and stalk towards the door.

Tsunade yells, holding up my next S Rank mission, "Where are you going?! You've got another mission to get to!"

I say as I stop at the door, my hand on the handle as I gaze back at the blond, "I have to go check on my students."

With that, I slam the door behind me and race to the hospital to see how Kai and Hiro were doing.

🗡️🗡️🗡️

I knock on the door to my students' shared room at the hospital and poke my head in. The boys are sitting up in their beds with Amaya in a hair beside Kai's. They all turn their heads to see me, a concerned expression on my features.

"Can I come in?" I ask.

Hiro says, "Sure, Sensei!"

I step inside and stand before my students. "What happened?" I ask, wanting their perspective on the mission.

Kai and Hiro tell me what happened. The Nakamura went to aid Kiba and got a broken rib while Hiro went to help Naruto and got a bad leg wound.

I murmur when they finish telling me what happened, "I'm so glad you all made it back alive."

Kai nods his head in agreement. "We'll be fine in a few days, you'll see."

I stay with my students for the rest of of the day, before I have to go and pick up my children from the academy.

At home, while I was having a snack, Kakashi wanders in to see me on the couch. He comes over and sits beside me.

"You're back from your mission. Did you hear about what happened with Sasuke?" He asks. I nod my head.

"I'm glad they made it back alive and are on the road to recovery, thanks to Tsunade-sama," I say as I hug Kakashi.

He murmurs as he strikes my hair, "I'm sure one day we'll get Sasuke back."

"I hope so. I can't imagine how Sakura and Naruto must be feeling about it," I mutter, leaning my head on Kakashi's chest as he continues to stroke my hair.