20. Mata?

Life in Vajji was new, unique, extremely tiring, but one she was proud of and wouldn't change a thing.

Her day began with Meenakshi's training early in the morning, from swords to spears. She wanted to learn  it all. Life settled into place eventually. The kingdom received her with love and care, care for their future queen. Post the training, she would join her husband in the sabha while they discussed important matters of the kingdom, coming back to her mother in law, to help her with problems of the staff. Food was interesting. They had very different ways to cook food and it took a little longer than she expected to like it. With that, she would go back to find her darling husband working in his room, working endlessly for his kingdom. Sometimes she would massage his head, while other times they would sit together and talk about various things in life. Friends, family love. She had learnt that Yuvraj was very fond of the game of shatranj (chess) and was very eager to teach it to her as well. Nights were unique each time, from reading a book, to talking to Meenakshi about Sahdev, or serving her in-laws, or spending time with her husband. Life was good.

How two years had passed by, she couldn't understand, as everything was so beautiful. That's why, the greatest truth of life, whether you are happy or sad, is that the time will pass.

One particular night, a few days before she went to Indraprasth for a month, her husband, brought her to the palace gardens.

"What are we doing here Arya? " She asked as her walked with her, holding her hands.

" I needed to do something

" I needed to do something. " He said, nonchalant, although his entire body was rigid, as if he had a secret planned.

" Ok. What is it? How may I help you? " She asked him, turning him around to look at her. His face was white as a sheet, he was sweating nervously.

" Arya. What is wrong? " She asked yet again, wiping the sweat off his brows with her odhini, standing closer to him.

" I-mata-mata -. "

" What did mata say? Do we have to attend some puja? "

" No. Mata has -has -has asked me when she'll have grandchildren. " He  quietly said, looking down.

Suddenly, loud laughs pierced his ears, from all directions. His wife was laughing and so hard that she couldn't stop.

"You'll laugh at me? I gathered strength to tell you and you'll laugh at me? "

"Ar-arya... The girl is the one generally shy about this. Why are you so -so scared. " She said, still laughing, so much that tears shined in the corner of her eyes.

" Because this is uncharted territory. For both of us. Why would you laugh at me for this? He said staring at her who was still chuckling.

She went up to him, holding her head in his hands and said, " We promised each other something Arya. My happiness is yours your sorrow is mine. What is the issue? "