27. Names! Not loving Nicknames!

" YOU LET HIM LIVE? "

" Ji Jyeshtha. We -"

" Arjun! That man touched YOUR wife, without consent. He attempted to kidnap her...... You let him live? "

" Jyeshtha. Please at least listen to his reasoning-" Yudhishthir pleaded.

"No! What reason could you have to let him live. We had a plan. We decided to send Arya away and invite your wives so that no one could find us. They would look all over Aryavart for six men and a woman and they wouldn't find her. Do you realise what you have risked by not killing him? Even more so. He touched the yagyaseni. He should be burnt by her fire. You let that man live? " She said, holding her head in her hands in exasperation.

" Jiji. Please. I request you. Listen to what my Arya is saying. I trust his judgement. He wouldn't have done it without deep analysis of the situation. Try to understand what he wants. " Dhanurdhari's wife said, joining her hands.

Karunika, was furious, but she would listen. Standing up, she asked, " Why did you do so Parth. I want a valid reason. "

" Jyeshtha. He is Sushala's husband. We can't make her a widow. " He said simply.

" You can't make her a widow? She was forced into marriage with Sindhuraj!You- Fine. Let's just move. " She said, in no mood to fight.

" Yes Jyeshtha. We must hide. There we will discuss where to go and what we will do. " Yudhishthir said, hand on her shoulder to calm her down.

The pandavs, their wives and Karunika all moved inside a cave, where they thought of the plan ahead.

" Jyeshtha. Madhav has said, that it would be wise of us to go into a Kingdom where we don't know the ruler. Where we can't be identified. Such a kingdom is Matsya. We will stay in Matsya as Maharaj Virat's praja. " Arjun said.

" You are right. But we must change our names. " Devika prompted.

" Hmm. But bhrata Yudhishthir won't lie. " Sahdev piped up.

" Every husband and wife have secret names for each other. If we give you a name, then you have that identify as your first identity. Unless anyone specifically asks who you are, that is what you answer. " Panchali said.

" Uchit hai. Arya. From today, you are Kank. You can say this much can't you? "Devika hesitantly asked him.

" Why not. My wife has given me a name, it's who I am now. " He said smiling at her.

Similarly, everyone got a name.

When Panchali was about to give Arjun one, Bheem said, "Panchali. Don't give him one. He already has one. What was it? Brhin- Bhrin. Something like that right Nakul? "

" I don't remember the name bhratashree. But I do know he looked beautiful with that name. " He said, laughing. While the rest of them erupted in laughter, Arjun told Panchali, " I have been cursed to be a eunuch for a year Panchali. Madhav has already given me a name. I'll be Brihanalaa. You can be Sairandhari. "

Bheem became Maharaj Vallabh, Nakul was Granthik. Sahdev presented himself as Tantripal.

The wives, were named by their husbands with affectionate names, when Karunika had to interrupt their love story , " You need to give them names which they can present in public. Priye, Kumari and all won't work you idiots! " She said exasperated.
Yudhishthir being the smart one quietly listened to his sister's words and chose a better name.

And so, Karunika was stuck chosing all their names. Her brothers, grew up, got married, even had children but they are still the children she raised.

Devika was the beautiful gardener, Malini.