36. Dwitiya , Tritiya... all the way to Dasham....

The next day of war brought its own chaos, with fast anhilation and death on both sides.

Each Lady in the camp would work from dawn to dusk, treating the injured, wounded, all while their male companions fought the war. No one could say they had not worked hard.

Karunika, who was now exceptionally careful of both her son, her husband and her brother's lives, had tied black threads on each of their arms.

All this while, Krishn watchedwatched,unable to say a word.

Each night the wives would pray for their husbands, daughters for their fathers and sisters for their brothers. Everyone was fighting, none backing down.

Each day, the warriors came back with news of the war, how Mahamahim Bheeshm would completely destroy the pandav armies.

It was gruesome. The men died gruesome deaths.

Bheem had managed to kill about thirty of the hundred Dhritarashtr sons.

Đ₳ɏ 9

" Vasudev, until and unless we kill Mahamahim Bheeshm, we have no hopes of winning this war. " Dhrishtdumn said, as the family discussed the plans for the wars.

" Senapati, Vasudev and I have sent your sister Raajkumari Shikhandini on a quest. She should be back soon. That is the only way we must fight. We have no other option. " Yudhishthir said.

" What plan? What tapasya? Has jiji gone to the Yakshraj Samrat? "
Panchali asked, worried for her sister.

" Haan Panchali. Devi Shikhandini has gone to the Yakshraj. Arya, Krishn and I thought long and hard about this and we have concluded that this might be our only way to -"

" I'm here. " Said a male voice from the door, face covered with layers of cloth as a shield against the sands.

" Jiji? " Panchali whispered.

" Padhariye. Pandav Senapati Shikhandi. " Krishn announced as everyone stared at him.

" That is a massive sacrifice devi. I am in awe and admiration of you. " Karunika said, as Shikhandi explained his story.

" Then it is decided. Tomorrow pitamah will meet his end. " Arjun announced.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

" Jyeshth ? I have a problem. " Karunika said, sitting by the mirror as her brother studied the battle plan for the next day.

" Bolo Kumari. I'm listening. "

" I have grown under Mahamahim Bheeshm. He is my pitamah. But, I find that I cannot bring myself to ignore his injustices. He would not speak a word in the sabha, to go so far as to agree with whatever Duryodhan had said. Is that wrong? Should I be more forgiving? I would have forgiven the younger people, the people of my age if they had asked for forgiveness. I would even forgive Duryodhan and Dushasan if they asked for forgiveness. However I find I am unable to forgive the elders. Is it unfair to them that I look at their one wrong over thousands of good? Is it incorrect of me to not have the strength to forgive them? " She asked, walking up to him, keeping a head on his shoulder as he sat on the bed.

Holding her face with one hand, he said, " Karunika. Your very admittance that you are being unfair to them by overlooking all their goods for one bad act answers your own question. You may not be able to forgive them, but they need it. He needs it to be free, to travel to swarg peacefully. He has not realised the adharm he committed and is commiting by fighting the war from Duryodhan's side. Pitamah's problem was never his disability to speak in these scenarios, but his unwillingness to use his power. He knows he has more power over Dhritarashtr, no matter what one may say, but still he did not do anything. He kept mum. That is the problem. He did not fight back, even against the injustice to himself. But still. He needs your forgiveness. Forgive him priye, for if you do, you may find that you are able to sleep in peace at night. For once, think from your heart, think as his granddaughter rather than a woman who was insulted. Think like a daughter. You'll find your answer. " He told her gently.