31. My daughter....

Karunika walked into the armory, where her brothers were getting ready for war. Their wives, ready to do their tilak.

" Kumari? What? What are you doing here? "

" Getting ready to fight Jyeshth. "

" But Jyeshtha, we are here for that. We are going -" Nakul piped up.

" A woman is responsible for her own fights. It was very evident that day. This is just to motivate those who can't stand up for themselves. Those who have no voice. "

" But jyeshtha, have you still not forgiven us? " Bheem said rueful.

" Forgiveness is different than justice Bheem. I could have even forgiven the sons of Dhritarashtr, had I known that they would only treat me like that. But I know that every woman under Duryodhan's rule will suffer like I did. So I can't forgive him. "

While the brothers kept bringing reasons so that she could stay back, he bhabhis walked up to her, silencing them all. One by one they all raised their hands, fingers dipped in the tilak.

" What are all of you doing? " Arjun finally asked perturbed.

" Jiji can't go into the fight alone. She will go with all of our blessings. We may be younger to her by relations, but we are all still women. Women's blessings, ones through the heart never go to waste. Vijayi Bhav jiji. "

Karunika gracefully and gratefully accepted their tilak when her husband walked in.

" All of you, please leave. I must speak to my wife. " He ordered.

As they emptied the room, Adam carefully took steps towards her, finally standing at a hair's breadth distance from her.

" I know you would never stop me. So why are you here Arya? " She asked, mind undettered.

He raised his hand and gently held her cheek. She sunk into the hand. It was peace.

" I just don't want to lose you again Priye. I don't think I could handle it. " He whispered, breath hitching with nerves.

" You won't lose me. I will come back as soon as I can. After all. I have an entirety of six more lives to spend with you. " She answered, looking into the eyes she had loved. The ones that had caught her in their web of love.

" I want a promise today Karunika. Promise me, that you'll come back alive. Like you asked me, many years ago. I want you here, alive. " He whispered, head now resting on her shoulders.

" I promise." She answered.

" Now. Do my tilak? " Karunika said, cheering him up.

As he did so, her eyes teared up. She was more than lucky to have him as her husband. She would never forget.

They parted, with a hug. A promise. A security. A hope.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Karunika stood outside the Narayan temple. She had spent the last year here. She sat in the garbhgrih, head down, praying for her brother's safety.  She prayed that the mission they had was successful.

" Jyeshtha. It's time to leave. " Sahdev said, walking in with the five brothers. As they were about to leave, the murti glowed, a unique shade of pink and gold.

The Jagatmata sat there, on her beautiful lotus.

" Putri..... " She whispered.

Karunika looked up. She saw her devmata. The Lakshmija stood up and went to her feet, praying. Her brothers followed.