Chapter 2 - Mind Reading Ability!

After about three minutes, the bus arrived, and Yuto and the other freshmen who were eagerly waiting for a long time boarded the vehicle.

However, Yuto noticed that two or three adults who weren't wearing school uniforms also entered their bus.

"Are they the teaching staff working at this school, or are they the family members of the school staff?"

Casually thinking, Yuto walked towards the backside of the bus and sat down in an empty seat, while Sakura Airi, who had been watching Yuto, gathered her courage, quickened her pace, and took the seat next to Yuto.

"Eh?" Yuto looked surprised at Sakura Airi, who was sitting next to him.

Now, his childhood friend Airi was tensing up, her head drooping, and her bangs, colored a fiery red, covered her tense face and expressions.

Even though Yuto couldn't see Airi's face, her tightly clasped hands showed how nervous she was.

"You've grown up, daring to sit next to me," Yuto teased Airi with a smile.

"Please..." A nervous and shy Airi whispered, "Yuto, please don't talk to me right now, I... I can't breathe."

Yuto twitched his mouth, alright, Sakura Airi was still the same, still so timid.

Yuto also knew that it took a lot of courage for Airi to sit next to him.

The driver shouted to those who had not boarded the vehicle, "The seat's full, please wait for the next bus!"

"Ah, really?"

"How come?"

The students who didn't manage to board first complained, but the bus driver ignored them, pressed the door closing button, and the vehicle's doors closed.

The bus started to move slowly towards the school.

As the bus moved slowly, Airi's nervousness gradually subsided, but then her body suddenly tensed up again, and her fair cheeks blushed.

At that moment, Yuto held Airi's hand.

Feeling shy and nervous, Airi pressed her lips together, her fiery red hair covering her blushing cheeks.

Instead of pulling her hand away, she even moved her body closer to him, allowing Yuto to play with her hand easily.

This was not the first time something like this had happened.

When Yuto and Airi went to the movies or amusement parks together, he held and played with her hand.

So, Airi had gotten used to being 'bullied' by Yuto like this.

The experienced Airi placed her handbag on her slender legs, using it to cover their clasped hands.

Airi felt the warmth and touch of his fingertips, feeling both shy and thrilled, her emotions nearly overwhelming her.

If it were just her and Yuto alone, Airi's reaction wouldn't be so intense, but the bus was full of people, with several standing and holding onto the handrails!

After about ten minutes, Airi's shyness and joy faded somewhat, she pursed her lips, then stole a glance at Yuto sitting next to her.

Her beloved childhood friend, Yuto, was propping his cheek with one hand, looking outside the window as if deeply enjoying the scenery.

But the constant scratching sensation in her palm told Airi that Yuto was partly focused on her hand.

'Yuto seems to have a special fondness for my hands, I should take care to maintain them well in the future.'

Airi turned her gaze away from Yuto's handsome profile, silently making up her mind.

It wasn't just Airi's hands that Yuto had a fondness for; it was just that it wasn't appropriate to play with anything else in the car...

At this moment, Yuto's clear eyes showed a dazzling light.

This situation was either his mind-reading ability being actively or passively triggered.

As mentioned before, Shimizu Yuto has the ability to read minds, as well as excellent learning and understanding capabilities.

His mind-reading ability can be used actively or triggered passively.

Using it actively, he can read what others are thinking.

However, actively using his mind-reading ability consumes a lot of mental energy and leaves him exhausted, needing sugar replenishment.

But when triggered passively, Yuto does not experience mental fatigue.

At present, if Yuto used his mind-reading ability actively, he could use it for about an hour without interruption.

Although an hour seems short, since he can stop using his mind-reading ability at any time, it's quite convenient for him.

His mind-reading ability is not uncontrollable like the one in 'Code Geass,' where the character cannot stop reading others' thoughts and is soon overwhelmed by them.

[I wonder who will give up their seat for me this time during the new student enrollment. I remember there's a hidden reward of five thousand points, right?]

Yuto, with eyes shining beautifully, looked to his right, where an elderly grandmother was standing not far away, holding onto the back of a seat to keep herself balanced.

His passively triggered mind-reading ability heard the grandmother's thoughts.

Indeed, people sitting near the grandmother had noticed her trouble but pretended not to see, not offering their seat to the troubled elderly.

Humans are a bundle of contradictions, and selfishness is one of their innate traits, so most humans would not voluntarily sacrifice their comfort for the benefit of others.

Thus, those who noticed the grandmother's trouble pretended not to see her, just wanting to comfortably reach their destination.

Actually, Yuto thought it wasn't necessary to give up his seat, as his sharp eyes noticed that the grandmother's physical condition might be better than some of the first-year students in the bus!

The muscles in the grandmother's arms, as she held onto the back of the seat, were clearly well-defined!

'What does she mean by "a hidden reward of five thousand points"?' Yuto wondered.

This island is not freely accessible, so everyone here is either a student or a staff member of the school, meaning that this grandmother is definitely related to Tokyo Metropolitan Advanced Nurturing High School.

'So, is this a test from the school... a test of virtue?'