Chapter Twenty-Two

-Misty's P.O.V.-

"What are you doing here?" My mouth suddenly felt dry the moment my mouth opened to speak. I licked them and gazed upon my mother who had what looked like a smirk on her face.

I hadn't seen her in almost a year and that was because I was at school most of the time, the other time I spent off the campus I was with Auntie Jackie and the rest of my family. But here she was standing at the foot of the staircase, scarf tightly around her neck, Louis Vuitton bag strapped to her shoulder, and heels way too high for her age frame.

"Now, Misty I invited her for her dinner, although she seemed to have missed the dinner part, but she's here now thats what matters." Auntie Jackie said happily trying to lighten the mood. I don't know why she tried so hard with my mom. It was not like she would make an effort back. My mother was the kind of person that took a bright sunny day and rained all over it, it was like whenever she saw someone else happy she had to stop it.

Aunt Jackie looked around seeing as no one was making an effort to move, clapped her hands together and urged us.

"Go on now, I made Apple pie Misty your favorite." She mentioned.
Tanya joined along and smiled. It seemed forced. "And ice cream too you like ice cream, right?" She tugged on my arm and pulled me down the stairs. My mother pushed herself aside to allow us to pass, her eyes stayed trapped in mine as I walked to the kitchen with Tanya.

As soon as we passed through the door she let out a sigh of relief.
"Goodness!! That was tense, I could literally cut up the air with a knife." Tanya laughed as she got the small plates for desert. I remained quiet.

She noticed my silence but didn't acknowledge it.

"I think the game is on tonight Miami vs. New York." Her eyes cut to me. "If there's anything that us Paul like is some basketball." She stated.

I grabbed the forks and knives and followed Tanya into the dinning room.

She kept filling the silenced air with talk about school and how many guys she's met and changing her major and I pretended to hear her but I was really in my own world at that point. I was suppose to be happy today, my boyfriend was meeting my family and they liked him. I should be happy...I'm happy, right?

Just about then the back door busted open and in came Jules and Jayden sweaty and breathing heavy from the game they just played against each other.

"Listen man, you just got lucky, I was a little sleepy on the court." Jules explained to Jayden.

Tanya looked up and with a sheepish grin said, "You lost didn't you?" She asked.

Jules chirped.

"More like you hibernated on the court." Jayden responded back to him.
Jules shoved him playfully and pushed him right over at me.

Jayden turned and smiled kissing me on my cheek as she did. "Hey babe." He said.

"Hey." I replied with not as much enthusiasm.

He gave me a look noticing the sudden change in my mood and opened his mouth to say something but was cut short by Aunt Jackie coming through the door.

"You two boys are all sweaty go clean yourselves up before we have desert." She waved them off.

Jules groaned and nudged Jayden. "I got an extra shirt upstairs if you wanna change." he said. Jayden nodded looked at me for a brief second before leaving through the side door with Jules.

I felt so bad for acting this way but honestly I didn't know how to act right now. I didn't get enough time to put myself together before my mother waltzed into the dinning room head held high observing the place like she's at a museum.