Chapter Fifty-Two

*Side note here: I'm changing the school that everyone goes to from Indiana State University to Indiana University. It just makes more sense to me as it's a football school and what not. For those who have been reading since the beginning and noticed the change, there's really no solid reason. I just prefer for them to go there.*

-Misty-

The air was light and filled with the rush of the beautiful California weather. The sun was perched high in the sky and heavily warmed my face as I stood waiting. I watched as my mother parked her fire-truck red Ferrari at the front of the restaurant, The Palm in Beverly Hills. She stepped out of the car, her eyes concealed by her Gucci sunglasses as she handed the valet her car keys.

She walked up to my sassily, her designer heels clicking against the concrete floors beneath us. She stopped just shy of where I stood and removed her glasses.

"Misty." She greeted me.
"I thought we were past the formal greetings, mother," I said emphasizing that last part.

She rolled her eyes, "You asked for a business meeting concerning your career so we're formal right now." She said.

Oh? We'll see about that.

I ignored her last statement and walked up to the hostess who smiled widely at the both of us.

"Do you two have a reservation?"

I nodded, "Yeah it's under Devore." I told her.

The hostess looked at the list and then back up at us. "Party of three, right his way." She pulled out two menus in her hands and began leading us towards the back of the restaurant.

"Devore? Misty, who are we meeting with?" My mother asked me curiously as we approached the table.

I shrugged refusing to answer.

"Misty Louise-." She caught herself when she realized who was sitting at the table waiting for us.

She briskly turned to me, her face fuming. I remained calm, having been used to my mother at this point in my life her sudden tantrums did not faze me.

"You tricked me!"

I frowned, "No you mistakenly took this invitation as a business lunch when indeed it was something else." I said.

She narrowed her eyes, "You lied." She whispered angrily.

I shrugged again. "I didn't lie, I just happened to sway from telling you what or who exactly we were having lunch with," I replied simply.

She groaned pursing her lips as she turned to look at my father who had stood up to greet the both of us.

"Evie, let's just try to have a normal lunch please. I haven't seen my daughter in months." He said walking over to my mother. He placed a light kiss on her cheek and she pushed him away from her.

"I said to stop calling me that." She walked around him and took a seat at one of the chairs at the table.

Allen sighed and then looked at me, "Misty." He greeted me with a kiss on the cheek. I was less physical than my mother, but still awkward about the gesture. I didn't say much as I took a seat beside my mother who was throwing daggers at me with her eyes.

"And to think you were doing so well with the sarcasm..." She said to me.

I rolled my eyes, "I can turn it on again if you'd like." I said.

I think she was close to choking me out, just a few more sarcastic remarks and the restaurant would have to phone the ambulance.

The waitress returned and asked us for our drink orders, I got a simple ginger ale and waited for my mother and father to order.