Chapter Twenty-Nine

-Misty's P.O.V-

"Explain to me again why we are going to LA to see my mother?" I asked my Aunt Jacqueline as we boarded our Indiana-Los Angeles bound flight in a slight hurry. Honestly Aunt Jackie was the only one rushing. Tanya and Jules were behind me and they didn't seem to be taking this any much serious than I was.

Aunt Jacqueline gave me a quick warning stare behind me as we walked through the long, narrow, hallway heading towards our plane.

"Because it is your mother's 37th birthday and what kind of family would we be if we didn't go and celebrate with her?" She said to me.

"A smart one, when was the last time mom came to celebrate one of your birthday's with you?" I asked her.

She was silent for a moment.

"Misty...family doesn't give up on each other no matter how far the person pushes away, we keep reaching for them." She said softly.

I didn't reply back to her instead I continued the walk with her to our seats on the plane. Aunt Jackie and Jules had the middle seats with two other people. Tanya and I had the double seats beside them next to the window. I took the seat with the window because Tanya hated looking outside because she was afraid of heights. She usually took a pill to knock herself out so she wouldn't have to deal with the plane flight.

As I looked over at her I could tell she already took her pill because her eyes were dimming and she wasn't really focusing as I was speaking to her.

"Tanya, your bag is suppose to go up there." I said pointing to the storage unit.

She batted her eyelashes a couple of times and nodded her head slowly. "Yeahhh." She slurred, but she made no effort to move her bag. I sighed.

"Sit...go to sleep." I pushed her down to her seat, buckled her in and then put in her bag for her. Sheesh! Sometimes I wondered about her, the flight was only going to be about 4 hours she didn't really need a pill for any of that but I let her be. Whatever made her feel comfortable.
I took my seat after I got all my belongings settled in and buckled in my seat belt.

"You kids, settled now?" Aunt Jackie called in from her side.

I gave her a quick thumbs up, Tanya was knocked snoring lightly beside me so I put up another thumbs up for her sake. Aunt Jacqueline looked over at Tanya and shook her head. Jules was beside her scrolling through the plane's t.v. looking for what I assumed was some basketball.

I turned back to my seat, took my iPod out and threw on my earphones and decided to drown out the fact that I had to visit my mother for her birthday. I mean can't I just call her or something? Thats what she does for me when its my birthday...and thats if she remembers.

I mean I didn't want to seem really mean or anything but I already took an abnormal amount of days off work from Hawaii and now to LA, I won't be surprised if I show up to work and I'm suddenly fired.

Just thinking of Hawaii sent a wave of mixed emotions through my body. I felt both refreshed and really confused at the same time. I was refreshed because "duh" I went to Hawaii, I enjoyed the time with my friends the spa day, the beaches, and even the hikes.

What really fucked me up was Kurt showing up out of nowhere along with Lazaro. It just got me thinking a lot, even now as I was on the plane blasting my music and looking out the window I found myself thinking about things in my past. As much as I didn't want my mind to go down that road, it wasn't like I could help it. I thought about my mother, my family now, how lonely I felt sometimes, how it even got like this. I thought about my life and how it would be had my mother stayed with me, had I knew who my father was....and if he had stayed.