Chapter 14

Becky rested back against the pillow on the trolley as she was being wheeled down an all too familiar corridor. She was normally the one chatting away to the patients about the news or the weather as the nurse who was looking after her was doing now, she soon realized that none of her patients were actually interested in what Becky was saying.

She was nervous even though it was only an operation on her foot, she was still nervous, she had cried herself to sleep after Freen had left last night, only managing to drift off for a couple of hours before spending the remainder of the night wide awake staring out onto the city lights. She was mad at Freen, yet she craved having her around, were they ever going to get past where they were now, snapping and fighting with one another, an argument riling Becky up so much she had managed to break her fucking foot by kicking the stupid radiator in her flat.

"You alright Becky bear" Tim asked glancing down at her as he wheeled her towards the theatre. Tim was an elderly porter who she knew well who transferred many of her patients back to recover or back to their wards. She gave him a soft smile as she nodded.

"Well look who it is" Irin beamed as she glanced down at the brunette "how you are doing pet" she asked sympathetically as she held onto Becky's hand.

"Mortified" Becky mumbled as Irin just smiled knowing that the entire operating staff were fully aware of Becky's admission.

"Theatre 3 Tim" Irin said following the trolley into the spacious sterile room.

"Right guys you know the drill, 5 minutes before Mr. Jones will be here" Taylor one of the orthopedic scrub nurses declared giving Becky a quick wink and busying herself with preparing equipment.

"I'll see you in recover sweetie don't worry it'll be over before you know it" Irin said as she placed a small kiss on the brunette's forehead, she watched as Irin's face lit up as Irin's eyes remained fixated towards the door.

"About time you got here" Becky's boss said as she headed for the door leaving the brunette to turn and see Freen stood by the theatre door, scrubs on and a surgical mask covering half of her face. The staff were scurrying around the theatre each preparing their own duties as Freen made her way over to her wife.

"Hey how you are doing" Freen asked softly pulling down her mask to her chin as she gripped onto the bed railing, Becky's eyes connecting with the sparkling rings on Freen's left hand caused a jolt of excitement race through Becky's body.

She was still annoyed with Freen's snappy behavior over the past few days but who was Becky kidding of course she was excited to see Freen was actually stood here and wearing her wedding ring.

"What are you doing here" is all Becky could manage as her eyes remained fixed on the sparkling band that wrapped Freen's slender finger.

"You didn't actually think I was not going to show up did you" Freen frowned, her face displayed hurt rather than the anger she had been displaying the past few days. 

"Thanks, I know I haven't said it, but it means a lot you are being here" Becky sighed as she played with her wrist band. She chewed her lip as she reached under her gown, maybe deep down she knew Freen would turn up or she just took a chance, but she revealed her long chain that her own wedding band and engagement ring dangled from.

She had kept it around her neck the past few days. It was comfort to her the past few days even if Freen had been keeping her distance. Freen smiled warmly as she helped the brunette take the chain off and let it drop into her own hand. They remained quiet for a moment while the staff prepared the machines around Becky.

"I've been a real shit this week Becky" Freen mumbled as she held onto the chain tightly.

"I've said stuff that I don't mean and I'm sorry" she added making eye contact with Becky's worried brown eyes as she entwined their fingers together.