Chapter 30

"What I would do for a pair of tits like that" Becky exhaled as she coughed out the thick smoke.

"Easy Rebecca" Irin warned as she barely turned to look at the nurse.

Becky knew Irin was getting weaker and weaker as the days passed by.

"Honey from here, your tits look perfect" Friend whistled as Becky rolled her eyes passing over the joint to the older woman.

"Not happening Friend" Becky shot back as Irin gave them both a disappointing look.

"Do you lesbians have to be so vulgar. the poor lady is presenting a show and you two are talking about her like a pair of teenage boys, show the lady some respect" Irin snapped as she gasped for air.

"It's not as though she can hear us" Becky shot back as she glanced at Friend who inhaled sharply and remained staring at Becky's boobs.

"Stop" Becky warned covering her chest as she reached to take the spliff from Friend once again.

"Sorry I forgot only the surgeon gets a sneak peek nowadays" Friend teased as Becky rolled her eyes.

"Speaking of....where is your lover tonight" Friend asked as Becky shrugged her shoulders.

"Working I presume" Becky said casually as Friend's eyes squinted not looking convinced.

"Lover's quarrel" Friend asked giggling at herself.

"No, she just doesn't stalk me every night of the week" Becky shot back getting a dig at Friend who had spent the last 2 evenings around in Irin's house.

Of course, she said she was here to support Irin but Becky knew full well once she heard what Irin had stashed in her cookie jar in the kitchen she was clearly here for the free drugs.

The truth was Becky enjoyed the company. Char was busy with wedding stuff and Freen had been on call the past couple of days so they only really got to see each other briefly in the afternoons when Freen would come to check in on Irin.

They hadn't mentioned their previous awkward encounter between them again after that day in bed, truth be told Becky was glad Freen didn't bring it up the next day over lunch.

Becky knew she overreacted but she didn't expect Freen to mention the word marriage again...not after everything they had been through the last 6 years. So having Friend here to keep her mind occupied was actually a God send.

It meant she wasn't sitting here evening after evening pining for Freen or waiting for Irin to deteriorate, nope Irin was stubborn as always and although she was becoming weaker as the week went on, she still had her usual sharp tongue.

She refused any more IV's Becky had set up for her, all she wanted now was her box of morphine to get her through the day.

"How long until those brownies are cooked" Becky asked as Friend shrugged her shoulders relaxing back against the sofa, she was clearly beyond caring as her freedom took over her body.

"Useless" Becky grumbled as she swayed slightly getting to her feet, she felt relaxed as she made her way into the kitchen and checking on the pot brownies.

The strong smell of pollen filled her nostrils as she left them out to cool. Becky smiled as she stared at the photo hanging over Irin's dining room table.

It had been taking a few years back in theatre with all the staff on Becky's last day working with Irin, it made her smile. She knew her and Irin had clashed at the best of times with Irin nagging at Becky like an old mother but now that she reflected on their relationship, she knew Irin had always had Becky's best interest at heart.