Chapter 40 Epilogue

2 years later.

Christmas morning.

"Happy Christmas Doc" Char smiled as she grasped the surgeon between her short arms and Freen gave the blonde a short hug back.

"How's your head" a chirpy Engfa asked as she gave her friend a quick hug.

"Not too good" Freen mumbled as she made her way into the kitchen to flick the kettle on.

"Well, that's what you two get for getting pissed last night, you better be hungry later for this turkey" Engfa laughed as she gave her wife a cheeky grin and opened Freen's fridge to start preparing Christmas dinner.

This is the second Christmas Engfa and Char had come over on Christmas eve and gotten drunk on eggnog and whisky and they would share the day together.

Freen wasn't in the mood for celebrating it but Engfa always insisted Freen shouldn't be alone on the occasion. Freen was tempted to work this year but with-it being Christmas there was no schedules surgeries until the new year so spending the day with her friends was more appealing than catching up on paperwork, she could easily get done in a couple of hours next week.

Freen sighed as she reached for cups asking the girls if they wanted a coffee, a short grunt from Char indicated she was up for it as she looked like she had been to hell and back she sat at the table nursing her head.

"None for me...I don't need anything to perk me up since I was in bed before midnight last night" Engfa said as she chopped away at the veggies.

Engfa always was the most optimistic one of them all...she never let anything bring her down and was always the rock out of the group of friends.

"So have you heard from Becky's mom at all" Engfa asked piling the vegetables in a neat pile on the chopping board.

"No" Freen sighed stirring her coffee and clasping both cups as she sat opposite an almost lifeless Char. She knew Char was feeling the pain of the day that was in it.

"No doubt she will phone later to see how you are holding without her least favorite child around you" Char let slip hating how Becky's mother always treated Becky.

Freen's jaw clenched for a split moment as Engfa gave her wife an evil glare. It is Christmas, there was no need on dwelling on the past.

As the day went on Freen and Char curled up on the two large leather sofas in Freen's spacious living room, their eyes glued to some cheaply made soppy Christmas movie.

Neither of them was in the mood to lift their heads to even make contact with one another which suited them both down to a T.

"Dinner's ready" Engfa beamed popping her head from the kitchen for a second and disappearing again.

After a few grunts and groans both girls struggled to move from their comfort and eventually made their way into the dining room.

Freen's eye widened as she looked at all the food that was cooked to perfection laid out on the table.

The golden-brown turkey had actually made her stomach groan as she took her seat at the table.

As the three of them took a seat digging into the food, Freen sat as she looked at the empty space opposite her.

Her heart sank as she looked between the loving couple as they exchange loving glances at one another, Freen felt a burden.

This was Engfa and Char's Day to spend together, themselves as a family but here Engfa was slaving over Freen's kitchen all day for her to be a third wheel. This was the last year she was going to be here with her two friends next year she was going to let them be a family.