Chapter One

"Son of a bitch." Dean groaned, as he coughed and placed his hand on his chest.

     His eyes blinked open, and the sun caused him to squint and scrunch his face. He was confused, considering he woke up after he had sworn he died from a couple shots to the chest. He knew he was supposed to be dead, but he was alive. When he looked around, he was even more confused, seeing as he was outside, laying flat on his back in the middle of the road.

      The asphalt was hard under his body; the body that already felt like it had gone three rounds with Mike Tyson. He forced himself to a sitting position, but it didn't stop the slight pain he was feeling — which made him wonder if his body was trying to get over having been dead. He remembered taking his last painful breath, but when he looked at his shirt, it was clean and no holes were present.

      Slowly, he lifted his body completely from the ground and stood on shaky legs. He dusted the dirt and gravel from his pants and jacket, as well as the small amount that had attached itself to his hair. He looked around the area, and he was confused as to why there wasn't any people around. From where the sun sat pirched in the sky, he knew it couldn't be too late or too early, so people should be running around doing their day to day activities. Someone should've seen him in the middle of the road and tried to wake him up, or maybe just run him over with their car without a care in the world.

       He was very curious as to where he was, so he decided to walk over to one of the shops in the strip mall to see if anyone was inside to answer some questions. Maybe he'd at least get an idea of where he was, or maybe what day it was. He'd also hope for answers as to why there wasn't any people around, but for all he knew the town could have a curfew for when everyone had to be home and couldn't go back out.

      Dean opened the door of the shop and walked inside. Some of the things in the front of the shop was covered in dust, but when he looked over at the shelves that held the products that the shop was selling, the shelves were broken, and it looked like the place had been ransacked. The shop simply gave him more questions than answers.

       He decided to look around to see if he could find a newspaper that would give him a little bit of answers. Luckily, it didn't take him long to find a newspaper. It was placed on a shelf under the front desk. He looked at the newspaper and found the date and location on the top of the paper:

       June 2010
      Atlanta, Georgia

"How the hell did I get to Atlanta?" Dean wondered outloud, knowing he had been nowhere near Atlanta when he died.

       Dean decided to read the headline of the paper, to hopefully get some answers as to where all the people were. The headline didn't give him much, but the article underneath gave him a little more of an explanation.

     'Our sources say that more than one person has become sick with whatever has gotten out. Many deaths have been documented in barely a few days time, and nobody has any answers. All we know is that there are people attacking other people, and what looks like eating them. We are not sure of any more information at this time.'

"Great, friggin' zombies." Dean cursed, throwing the paper on to the desk.

       He decided to try and stock up on what little essentials he could find in the store. After that, he'd have to find himself a car, at least until he found his own — if he found it. He started to feel angry at the fact that he had died and left behind his little brother. Sam wasn't the only one he left, but he was the most important; he also left Bobby, Cas, and so many others that he remembered were still alive when he died.

       Growling to himself, he grabbed a container of makeup and tossed it across the shop. Using all his anger, he had managed to break the makeup, as well as leave a dent in the door that the makeup had hit. Once he felt like he had let go of a little bit of his anger, he was able to actually start packing some things into a bag he found hanging nearby. There wasn't much there, but it was enough stuff for him to be good for a couple days.

         The bag was about the size of a duffle bag, so there was a fair bit of room. He packed all the food and water that was left inside of the shop. He also grabbed medicine, a couple rolls of toilet paper, and medical supplies. He needed some clothes, but there wasn't any in this shop. On his way out though, he spotted a case that held knives. The knives weren't huge, but they would do in a pinch.

         He used a book to break the case, before he slipped all the knives into his bag. These were display knives, and though they were sharp, they were never the ones sold to customers. That meant there was more somewhere else, so he spent ten minutes searching through the store, before he found a box with almost thirty other knives inside. He quickly poured them into his bag, and even if it seemed like an excessive amount, he knew the knives would come in handy.

"Where the hell do I go now?" Dean voiced, as he leaned against the window on the outside of the building.

       He had to find himself a car, and possibly find a place to stay. He couldn't leave himself out in the open if there were cannibals walking around. Even if he was almost sure it was zombies, he couldn't be positive, and he definitely didn't want to be caught off guard. He simply needed a place to stay while he figured out what the hell he was going to do...