Chapter Twenty Nine

Months had passed, and yet, Baby and Dean still hadn't found Sam. They had found another place to stay for a week though, since they were tired of traveling. They had been on the road almost constantly since they left the farmhouse. Baby and Dean were tired of being in the rusted truck that smelt like a farm.

        The house they had found was small, only two bedrooms, but it had food and a little bit of water. They'd only stay maybe three or four days, but that was better than nothing. Dean had done like he always did, and boarded up all the windows in the house, as well as the back door. He made sure only the front door was an exit, but he kept a crowbar near the backdoor incase they needed to escape.

"This place is really clean," Baby commented,"You think someone was here recently?" She asked, making Dean frown.

"If that was the case, why would they leave?" Dean asked, raising an eyebrow in a questioning manner.

"I don't know," She murmured, shrugging slightly,"I was just wondering why there isn't any dust or anything hanging around in the house. There's not even a single cobweb."

"Maybe the house was owned by a neat freak before the world went to shit." He said, and she left it at that.

       Baby didn't bother saying anything else about how clean the house was. She knew it was too clean, but Dean wanted to ignore it. He didn't want to question why the house was so clean, and Baby figured it might've been because he just didn't care. They now had the house, the food, the water, and everything else. If the person who had the house before came back, Dean would handle them.

"Come pick something for me to cook." Dean told Baby, and without question, she walked over to the cabinet and grabbed something for food.

        Dean agreed to making the macaroni and cheese, since he knew that Baby seemed to really like pasta. When they lived at the farmhouse they found, she seemed almost excited every time Dean made any type of pasta. She liked it almost as much as she liked the pizza at the CDC. She'd always remember that pizza, and she'd probably always crave to have it again.

"There's a guitar in the closet in the second bedroom," Dean commented,"Did you know I could play?"

"No, I've never seen you play before." She replied, and Dean bit his lip.

"Do you want me to?" He asked, causing her to nod with a grin growing on her face.

       Dean stood up from the table once he finished his food, and headed to the bedroom to grab the guitar. Once he had the guitar in his hand, he headed back to the kitchen, where Baby had started washing dishes with the very poor stream of water that was coming from the faucet. She never complained about it, she just worked with it as best she could.

"What do you want me to play?" He asked, and she bit her lip.

"Will you play Simple Man?" She questioned,"I use to love hearing you sing when you were driving." She added, referring to when she was still a car.

      Dean nodded with a smile, before he began to play the chords to Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd. Baby closed her eyes and listened to every chord from the guitar, and every lyric that left Dean's lips. She loved the sound of his voice. She felt that if he never became a hunter, Dean could've easily become a musician.

"I love you, Dean." Baby said, as she stood up, walked over to Dean, and wrapped her arms around him.

"I love you, Baby." He replied, giving her a gentle kiss.

         Their moment didn't last long though, because a knock was heard on the front door. Dean quickly stood and grabbed his gun, as Baby grabbed hers and followed behind him. He slowly went to the door and opened it, and after a second, he realized who it was, and he dropped the gun to his side.

"What the hell, Daryl?" Dean groaned,"I could've shot your ass."

"Didn't think you two would be here," Daryl commented,"but I had to come check tha house."

"Were you the one that cleaned it up?" Baby asked, causing Daryl to shake his head.

"No, Aaron did," He replied,"I know you two probably don't trust it, but we got a place to stay."

"Where?" Dean asked, crossing his arms.

"It's a town called Alexandria," Daryl answered,"It's got fences to keep the people safe. There's a chance for us to survive, at least a little while."

"Did you guys make the town, or did they find you?" Baby asked, feeling unsure.

"They found us," Daryl said,"but they're not bad people — not all of 'em. There's a few that are bad, but it's a place to live, y'know?" He shrugged,"We got food, water, showers, and houses to live in."

"You're really selling it to me, Daryl," Baby said, chuckling quietly,"You don't sound too enthusiastic."

"Sorry, it's jus' I'm use to livin' out here, and livin' there is different for me." Daryl replied, and Baby nodded in understanding.

"We'll go with you," Dean stated,"but we're lookin' for my brother, so we won't be there long."

"I think y'all will be there longer than you think." Daryl murmured, and Dean had a feeling Daryl knew more about something.

       Dean didn't ask any questions though, he simply grabbed his bag and Baby's. He and Baby headed out of the house, and Daryl followed behind them. When he seen their truck full of stuff, he couldn't help but shake his head with a chuckle. Dean and Baby were always loading up with stuff they might need, but Daryl understood why. They just wanted to have anything they could need to survive in a world where the dead came back to eat the living...