Adjusting

Gabby stared like she was trying to stare a hole into Stephanie. She didn't know this chick and for all she knew, she could've been one of those crooked type of girls. Not only that, but she was protective over me. Any other girl I had dated had damn near been run off by Gabby's cold demeanor. She could make anyone feel uncomfortable. "I heard you throwing up in the bathroom, too. I hope you cleaned up after yourself, repugnante." she snapped. Stephanie rolled her eyes. I glared at Gabby, "Gabrielle! Callate!" I told her, demanding that she give Stephanie some kind of respect. I wasn't gonna let her run this one off. "But who is she and why is she on this side of town? If the homies see her, it's over for her. I thought you knew better."

I glared at Gabby and then looked back at Stephanie, who seemed to be little uncomfortable. I placed my hand on her shoulder in an attempt to comfort her. "Don't worry about her. She's a little rude but you don't even have to pay her any mind. Oh and by the way, Gabby..." I turned my attention back to my sister. "...Eres uno hablar usted puta para los italianos." I snapped. I knew it would probably hurt her feelings or make her mad, but I didn't care. She seemed to have forgotten that the dick I caught her riding wasn't a Hispanic one. "Forget you, Antonio! I hate you!" she yelled, storming off into her room. I didn't pay her any mind though, my attention was focused on Stephanie and making sure she was okay. We had both heard her throwing up in the bathroom and I needed to know that she was okay.

"I heard you in there, are you okay?" I asked her, concern and worry in my voice. "Yes, I think I just don't feel well because I haven't really eaten." she told me. I didn't think anything else of it. With everything she had going on at home, I could see why she hadn't eaten anything. "Well, I'll whip something up for you." I told her. She smiled. I reached for her hand and she grabbed a hold of mine as I led her towards the kitchen. "Now what did you say to your sister? I didn't understand all of it." she inquired. I chuckled, "It doesn't matter. Let's get some food in you."

____________________________________

After I got Stephanie, Gabby and myself fed, Marco knocked on the front door. I walked in from the kitchen and opened the door for him. He stepped inside. "Hey, how you doin?" he asked. I sighed. "I'm better, I'm able to move around and everything, no complaints." I replied. He sat down in the chair near the door. I sat down on the couch and turned my full attention to him. "I heard about those detectives showing up here. They didn't harass you, did they?" he asked, worried about my well being. "No...they asked questions expecting me to snitch on everybody I know. I ain't tell them nothin. If they wanna know anything, it's their job to go and find out. It ain't mine to tell." I told him. He sighed.

"If somebody shot me, I would've been cooperating. Especially if said person, ended up murdered. I'd do whatever I could to clear myself." he advised. I wasn't trying to hear that. Vince got what he deserved. And all that it was going to take to clear my name was hospital records. I hadn't left the hospital during the time when he was murdered and there were no calls that I made to anyone except for my mother and sister. "I'll be okay. I can take care of myself. And you know what, I'm getting too old for people to be watching me like they do." i told him. He shook his head. "You're never too old, mi hijo. Nunca." he replied. Just as he said that, Stephanie came out of my bedroom and into the living room. She didn't notice Marco right away but he noticed her. "Baby, I forgot to ask if you needed my help with anything." I dropped my head and sighed. She looked over at Marco and then said, "Oh. I didn't know there was anyone here." she said. It was a mistake so I couldn't be mad at her. I was getting kinda tired of hiding things anyway. At that point, I still cared about possible consequences but not too much.

"Who is this and what is she doing on this side of town? You know you're not safe here right, munequita?" He asked us. "She is safe as long as I'm here. And I'd appreciate it if you didn't run your mouth about." I told him. He stood up and released another exasperated sigh. "I can only look out for you so much. You're digging a hole for yourself and it just might get so deep that you can't pull yourself out of it." He said in a stern tone. Marco had always looked out for me and my family. And as much shit as he was talking, he still wasn't going to let anything happen to me or Gabby, or even Stephanie if he knew how much I cared for her. "Marco, I really need you to keep it to yourself. She needed help and I love her...so please just help me keep this a secret." I pleaded. I didn't realize what I had just said but judging by Marco and Stephanie's expressions, I knew I had let a big one slip.

"I love you and I love your family. I promised your mother that I would never let anything happen to you. So yes, I will help you but you better try your hardest to keep her stay here under wraps. I can help you both as long as you are smart about it." he agreed. "Thank you." Stephanie said, extending her hand to Marco. Marco was reluctant at first but then he looked at me. The love he had for me and my family, overshadowed any neighborhood beliefs or ideals. He took her hand and pulled her in for a small hug. Baby steps. "Welcome to the family, mi hija. Over time, I'll get used to you." He said with a small chuckle. Stephanie smiled, feeling welcomed and at peace. Marco headed out of the door and mumbled, "Estos ninos van para volver loco a me..." The sound of the door closing behind him muted the rest of his sentence. I sat back and released a sigh of relief and then laughed. "That guy is a character." I said.

______________________________________

Later on that night, I sat out on the porch smoking a cigarette, watching the stars twinkle in the sky. Sometime during the day, Gabby and Stephanie actually started getting along. They sat in the living room together watching music videos and singing along to Salt-N-Pepa and MC Lyte the rest of the day and I couldn't have been happier. Although I missed my mother, I felt like we had a small family and it had only been a few hours.

Gabby retreated to her bedroom after another hour of music videos and TV shows. Stephanie helped me straighten up the living room and cut some of the lights off. I locked the front and back doors and then we met in the middle of the living room. She stood across from me, looking just as beautiful as she had the night we met. Even in sweats and a t-shirt, she was still amazingly beautiful. She reached out and gently touched my stomach, feeling the bandaging from on top of my t-shirt. "Does it still hurt?" she asked, rubbing her hand up and down which felt pretty good. It soothed the pain a little. "Not really, it's more sore than anything." I told her. I lifted her chin and placed a soft kiss on her lips. "Lay down wherever you're comfortable. I'll check on you once I'm out of the shower." I said. "Okay." she replied.

I grabbed a wash cloth and a body towel and headed into the bathroom. I took my clothes off and placed them in the hamper next to the sink and started the shower. I made sure the water was comfortable enough for me and then I removed my bandage. I stepped in the shower and let the warm water gently beat down on my body. It felt good after the long day that I had. After a minute, I noticed something through the shower curtain. It looked like Stephanie was standing there, watching me. I smiled to myself and pretended not to notice. That was until she approached the curtain and pulled it back, looking down at the thing she wanted most in the world that night. "Oh how I've missed you..." she said smiling. I shook my head and smiled, "Here we go..."