Loyalty underneath

Mike was one of the few who I respect and had mad love for. When things got bad at home I would sneak off and head to mike's house. It was almost like we had some special type of telepathy. He knew when I was in trouble, and he came to my rescue every time. Sometimes he would leave the window cracked for me to make my way through. I'd spend the night and make my way home before the sun came up. Honestly Mike was the big brother I never had. We were crazy about each other. We had a special relationship, a bond, a real friendship. Mike and I had become good friends through a mutual friend.

As much as Mike pretended to hate blacks, or anyone that wasn't one of 'them', Mike loved everyone. Mike and I had met through Priscilla. Priscilla was a beautiful Italian girl from around the way. She was another friend I had to pretend I didn't have. She was a sweet girl who had a bright future ahead of her. Priscilla stood five foot three, long brown hair, brown eyes, and a scar on the right side of her face. Priscilla stood out from the other Italian chicks from around her way. She was a heavy set. Most Italian women aren't known for having weight on them. Priscilla dared to be different, and for that we grew into good friends. Her father Amedeo was one of the head men in charge of the Italian Mafia. Amedeo made sure he had always kept tabs on Priscilla. When she started messing around with Mike all hell broke loose.

Hispanics and Italians were not allowed to date. To the Italians that was the biggest sin, and for that they could be disowned. When her father caught wind of what was going on, he sent his men after Mike. They planned to take Mike out back...if you know what I mean. Priscilla came to me distraught and told me what was going on. As tough as Mike plays he was just as scared. My loyalty belonged to Mike so I went to see Priscilla's father myself.

I knew could have possibly lost my life, but Mike was my friend. I couldn't stand this barrier that stopped people from being with their loved one's. I was tired and it had to start with someone. The day I sat with the head man of the Italian mafia, it put a shift in the hatred that spread through the bay area like the black plague. I explained what was really going on and how much Mike meant to Priscilla. For once I had a chance to share my view on life. How I didn't see black and white, or even the grey area's.

Amedeo's tone sent chills through my body, but his position didn't put too much fear in me. If anything popped off I knew Papa Mateo would be there. We talked for hours about Mike and Priscilla's situation. I had Mike's back no matter what, even if that meant I lost my life for him. He would know I died for a cause. Amedeo listened attentively as if what I had to say finally set in. we discussed how we would keep Mike and Priscilla's relationship a secret. As a peace offering I shook his hand to let him know we didn't want any trouble. From that day on Mike and Priscilla's relationship blossomed. The mafia kept tabs on Priscilla as well as Mike. Once you are in the family you are in it for life. Mike had no plans on leaving Priscilla. they were even talking about getting married once they graduated high school. Amedeo was all for it as long as Mike kept his word. Mike felt like he owed me his life. In all actuality I didn't want anything from Mike. I appreciated his friendship and that was enough for me.

My walk home was a long one. I was scared, embarrassed, and hurt. The same people I gave my trust to were the same one's who turned their backs. Everything in me wanted to break down. My family had just fallen apart, my friends turned their backs. I didn't really have anyone. Mike had his own problems going on, Priscilla had her own problems, and Antonio was in the same boat. I couldn't bother anyone with my life problems. It was more serious things going on in the world, and my problems weren't big enough.

My pride was crushed and I had no way of hiding it. Mike made sure I got home safe. He gave strict orders for me not to leave the house. Not to even open the door if someone came knocking. He would send someone to check on me when things blew over. Before going our separate ways I hugged Mike and thanked him for consoling me. He meant a lot to me and one day I would show it. "Mike you didn't have to do this. I just need somewhere to hide incase they sent someone after me."

Mike wiped the blood that oozed from my lip. "No problem Stephanie. You know we are family." He grabbed my face, stroking my cheek. "La familia es la familia y nos mantenemos unidos." For once I understood what he was saying. "Remember you taught me that." Smiling through the pain Mike had a point. We were family and we did have to stick together. "amor y lealtad." Mike kissed my forehead and watched as I walked off.

Antonio was on my mind something heavy. It wasn't so much as I wasn't happy to see him, but I felt something was wrong. Usually I get that feeling with Mike if he was in trouble, but I knew Amedeo had him protected. My intuition told me that Antonio was in big trouble. I hadn't known Antonio to be too much of a trouble maker. So why was this feeling coming on strong? I knew something was wrong when I seen Papa Mateo speeding past a red light. Mateo is never really seen out during the day like this. Watching his car speed off, I said a quick prayer before I made my way home. Whoever it was I prayed it wasn't Antonio. If something happened to him I would completely crack. It would be then that I would officially jump off the edge.

Antonio please be okay. Please...I love you...