Day break

I was upset to see Antonio leave. It was a bitter sweet feeling but I knew we'd see each other again. We showered each other with kisses before departing. I stood at the window making sure that he was getting home safe. People didn't realize that I played a hand in how things went on the block. It pays to be who you are and to know all the right people.

A few years back I meet a Cuban named Mateo, him and his family had just moved to the bay area and he was looking for work. Him and his family was full aware of the beef between the blacks and Hispanics, but that didn't deter Mateo for trying to make a better living for his family. Mateo was a dark skinned Cuban who was able to switch up his accent. He was a fella I met on accident but I was glad that we met. None of the other neighbors knew that we had a Cuban living amongst us. He was accepted simply because he looked black. Every now and then someone would become suspicious, but Mateo was a smooth cat. Him and his family changed their names to meet 'our' expectations.

Mateo knew everything that went on in the neighborhood. From the beef between the blacks and the Hispanics, to what drugs were being pushed on the east side. For the most part Mateo was a family man, but when things fell short and he got laid off he made sure his family ate. He made sure to give back to his community, and from time to time he would make his way over to the Hispanic side of town to show love. A lot people gave him flack for what he was doing, but I understood it. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to provide for your family, even if that means going against some of your people.

The night I met Antonio I called myself being slick. Having this Hispanic guy from the other side of town on the east side was trouble for the both, but I was willing to take backlash for him. After he walked me home I got a knock on my door. Mateo standing on the porch. When Mateo sat down on my steps I knew he meant business. Stepping out I sat next to him. "What's up Mateo?"

Puffing his cigar he looked over at me "Hola señora Señora. ¿Cómo has estado?" Twitching my fingers I knew Mateo would cut into me about something. "I've been alright. Just trying to manage in this house." Putting out his cigar "I understand Ms. Lady." Giving me a look "Now Stephanie you know I have to cut the bullshit. I seen one of my people on this side. Do you know you could have gotten him killed?

A sense of fear fell over me. Mateo was of no relation to me but I respected him like a father. "That was not my intentions Mateo. I wanted to get to know him and we weren't ready to leave each other." A smile crept across his face. "You like this guy?" Looking at the stars a school girl feeling filled my body. "Yes..I like him a lot." He chuckled "It's okay to be honest . Look at my wife, she's a beautiful black woman."

Mateo turned towards me "If that's who you like then go for it." My mind was already made up to take a risk, but Mateo giving me the okay let me know I made the right decision. "I can tell you right now Stephanie You've already fallen for him." Giving him a smirk "I haven't fallen for him, I just like him." Mateo began Laughing "que tonta, it doesn't take long to fall for my people. We are kind, loving, protective, and everything you need. He has your heart and you don't even know it."

Giving him attitude "You don't know that and neither do I." Mateo stood up and reached out for my hand. "Stephanie I seen this story before. I lived it baby girl. If that is where you want to be fight for it, fight for him, fight for love." I took what Mateo was saying with a grain of salt, I didn't think I would fall, but I did and now everything he said to me that night made perfect sense.

Mateo was my father and I appreciated every time we talked. He made sure I was in the house before I left off my steps. Before I called it a night I had to ask of one favor from Mateo. "Hey papa Mateo" Turning in my direction, "What's up momma?" Smiling like a shy school girl I knew my favor was big, but Mateo understood. "Could you make sure that Antonio stays safe?" Mateo stared for a minute then smiled "Anything for you Stephanie. I'll make sure he will always be safe. Now go and get some sleep you been out too late, and you know your mother will be home soon."

Waving him goodnight I thanked him. I knew with papa Mateo that Antonio would always be safe, no matter if he was on the east side or his side of town. Papa always kept his word. From that point on anytime Antonio made a move Papa knew, and he always knew if trouble was around the corner...