The Come Back

For the next couple of months, me and Stephanie hung out every now and then like two friends, close friends, but friends none the less. We would talk about Maria and the baby and how I was feeling about everything. Truth be told, I was happy to have someone around who I could talk to about things and get some real insight on what it was gonna take to be selfless and take care of someone other than myself. Stephanie was a good listener and I was happy that she actually cared even though we had been going through a break up.

One night, I went over to Stephanie's house after leaving Maria's aunts house from checking on her. I was hoping to play a game of cards or something and watch some music videos like we normally did. That would always take my mind off of things and we would even share a few laughs from time to time. Things were no longer awkward between us, and that's what made me comfortable enough to be around her. That night, I climbed through her bedroom window as usual. She was laying in bed, I guess taking a nap because she was so tired. I was impressed with the work she had done to the house in order to put it on the market. She had been making moves and I was happy for her. Truthfully, I was gonna be sad to see her go but I knew that eventually she would have to move on with her life, just as I had done with mine.

I walked up to her and woke her up, just to let her know that I was in the house. I shook her and she opened her eyes and looked at me. She smiled and then sat up in her bed. "Hey Antonio. How are you?" she asked. I sat down with her and gave her a hug. "I'm good. I just came from seeing Maria." I told her. She rolled her eyes in the other direction, hoping that I didn't notice but I did. I thought it was cute that she was kind of jealous of Maria. Although she had nothing to be jealous about. Maria was cool and having sex with her was cool. But the sex was nothing like it had been with Stephanie. Stephanie had the skills that made me wanna come back for more and more. She fit me like a glove and she was the wettest that I had ever felt. I missed her both her body and her company, I just couldn't get over how good it was. But I had to face the fact that I had a family and Maria and the baby would have to be my number one priority.

"How's the baby doing?" Stephanie asked. "The baby is good. We find out what she's having in a couple of weeks." I told her. There was always this moment of silence whenever I shared news about the baby with her but she never turned me away or told me she didn't wanna hear it. She just advised me and then we would talk about something else. "That's good." she replied. "So are we working together on the next project too? I mean we did a good job on the last one, I think we would do good on the next one too long as we work together." I told her. We had aced the first project and my grade was too good to risk it by having a partner who didn't wanna put in the work that Stephanie was willing to.

"We can do that, Antonio. I had fun last time anyway." she told me. "We'll have to fit in some time to work on it. I have a lot to do between now and graduation." she continued. I understood but I didn't wanna talk about graduation. I knew that afterwards she would be leaving and that i would probably never see her again. I wasn't ready to face the truth. All I wanted to do was pretend like it wasn't going to happen and continue to enjoy her company whenever I was with her. "I just hope you'll be happy and successful. I'm not lookin forward to it but what can i do?" I confessed. She was silent for a minute and then she moved a little closer to me. "I gotta go. You have your life and I have mine. I wanna leave all of this shit behind me and start over fresh. I deserve that." she told me. I knew she was telling the truth but I just couldn't accept it yet. Maybe that would all change when the baby came and my mind was on something else. I didn't know, all I knew was that I wasn't ready to completely let go.

"Just try to understand, Antonio." she told me. I looked at her and made the mistake of looking into her eyes. Once I caught her gaze, there was no turning back. "I really don't know how to let you go." I told her. Suddenly, I couldn't control myself and I leaned in for a kiss. She was hesitant, but once I was close enough, she moved in and our lips touched. Our chemistry was still explosive, and the touch of her soft lips sent chills through my body. I wanted to stop because I knew it was wrong but I couldn't do it. Next thing I knew, I was rubbing on her body, kissing her deeper, sliding my tongue in and out of her mouth. I felt a rush and all I wanted to do was be close to her at that point. I didn't know if I was going to be able to stop, but she did us both a favor and pulled back. Her forehead touched mine and she smiled. "We gotta stop." she said, pulling away from me. By then, I was at full attention and the last thing I wanted to do was stop. But, I had to respect her wishes and I didn't wanna do anything that we would both end up regretting anyway. "You hungry?" I asked her, changing the subject so that we wouldn't think about doing anything. She nodded, "Yeah. You cooking?" she asked. I chuckled and stood up. "Come on, I'll whip you up some breakfast food." I told her. She got up and we both walked into the kitchen, laughing and joking as if nothing had happened.

After I left Stephanie's house, I headed home. When I got there, I unlocked the door, hoping nobody was still up. I was shocked to see my parents sitting in the living room with two police officers. Man...I was so sick of seeing these motherfuckers that I could've threw up. It had been a while since they had bothered me, so I wondered what was up. "What's goin on?" I asked curiously. Before anyone could answer me, the officers walked up to me and cuffed me. My mother started crying instantly, my father just walked out of the room. They began reading me my rights and I dropped my head, realizing that everything that could've went wrong was now going wrong.

My past was now back to haunt me...