A Girl Name Karma

Months had passed since Uncle Tim took off with his girlfriend. They were known for taking extravagant trips over seas. Tim was the type of nigga who pretended to be a broke all the time. Truth was Tim had long money. Growing up Tim's parents played favoritism. My dad and the other brothers had to find their way throughout life. My grandmother loved all her boys but Tim was the one who was given the silver spoon. He was sent to better schools, always in sports, and was made to sit front row at church. Secretly Grandmother wanted Timothy to be the one to carry the family, the representable one. Even though she loved the other boy's, Tim would be the one to graduate from a prestigious college. Grandmother worked late nights, scrubbed floors, cleaned homes, and even did a few strange favors to make sure Timothy made it through college.

Uncle Tim was one of those people who lied about where he'd grown up, and about his family life. Tim was always ashamed of who he truly was. He hated the fact that his mother was a dark skinned, brown eyed, thick woman from the swamps of Mississippi. She was a pure country chick who got it how she knew best. Grandmother didn't have it too bad growing up, but the times had changed and in order for her to do for her kids, she did what she knew. Grandmother Sable was a grinder. She could trick the biggest trickster out of all his money. She was so slick she could sell salt to a slug. Daddy always told me I was just like grandmother sable. I guess grinding was in my blood.

Tim was a pump faker. Every opportunity where he could get ahead of his siblings, he took it. Getting his masters in biomedical science was his ticket out of Mississippi. Daddy offered him a room at our house until he found a job in his field. That was the biggest mistake daddy ever made. Things started off good in the beginning. Uncle Tim was sweet, protective, and always kept a smile on my face. Whenever the ice cream truck rolled around he would buy the neighborhood kids popsicles. Those were the good ole days.

Shit took a change when I hit puberty. I started growing hair, my breast came in, my figured started showing, and my period showed its face. Momma wasn't home when I got my period, uncle Tim was the one who instructed me what to do. He would do everything he could to see me naked. After a while the sexual comments started. Tim had a strong attraction to me and he wasn't afraid to show it.

Sometimes Uncle Tim would stand in my closet watching me get dressed. Shit he was even bold enough to sit on my bed waiting for me. Tim wanted to pop my cherry so bad it was killing him. No matter how much pussy was thrown at him, Tim was out to get mines. It didn't matter to him that I was his niece. If Tim could have had it his way I would have been his wife. It was sickening to say the least. Countless times I found I love you letters under my pillow. No matter how bold he got, no one believed what I was telling them.

In their eyes Tim could do no wrong. I was always in the wrong for trying to tell. After so long of trying I gave up. Fighting Tim off became a battle, a battle that I would lose after five years of fighting.

______________________________________________________________

Aunt Shelia stood outside the courtroom waiting for the verdict. Everyday leading up to this day had cause a rift in my family. Years of trying to tell people what Tim was up to had finally surfaced. The truth had come out in court. Tim was a pedophile who had gotten his chance with his niece. Sitting on the stand telling the jury about those nights of being raped caused emotional stress. Having to relive that night over and over again became a nightmare. No one knew how hard it was to fight off a two hundred and thirty pound man. Laying there with my eyes closed wishing that it would end. It was horrible living with that man.

The day of my testimony Antonio showed up to support me. I was terrified as I had to sit and face Tim in court. It was his word against mines, and everyone knew in the nineteen-eighties women didn't really have rights. There weren't very many laws to protect us. I had to be the voice for all women who had gone through that. As I placed my hand on the bible I was prepared to tell more than the truth. Until Tim would be outted for the sick motherfucker that he was.

Antonio looked as if he wanted to kill Tim. The truth was finally out about everything. I knew Antonio felt guilty about the way he had treated me prior to the abortion. I truly had no choice but to do it. Giving the court discriptions of the abortion tore me up. Time after time I would break out in tears. I wanted my child with me. I wanted to raise my baby, hold my baby, kiss him or her, just be a mother. That was taken away from me all because Tim was selfish and sick.

Thanks to me testifiying and speaking out, the courts found Tim guilty and sentenced him to thirty five years. A sign of relief fell over me. My nightmare was finally over. Tim wouldn't have a chance to harm another harmless woman again. Something was taken from me and thanks to the court...I could finally breath again.