Arc 1: Chapter 8

Shen Yan had not woken up from his stupor for a long time. He had heard "My Identity" a couple of times already, but he thought he was prepared enough for the live version. Who would have thought Mingyan's skill was beyond his expectation? She was just casually singing while wearing a light pink shirt and the same blue shorts she had tried to wear on their first date. Her hair was let down, and in the background, the sun shined on her. Shen Yan felt like he was at a concert, but the scene in front of him contradicted it greatly.

Mingyan's voice was, in one word, ethereal. He'd love to listen to her sing for a whole day, and he bet he wouldn't get bored. He wanted all of her to himself, but he found that Mingyan had already uploaded her post, splashing him with cold water. He woke up from his dark thoughts. It was fine if he couldn't have all of Gu Mingyan, but he'd make sure to make her his Madame Shen. Shen Yan narrowed his eyes in thought.

The oblivious Mingyan happily closed the laptop. She had no desire to see if her post did get the attention of the patrolling netizens.

Right then, her phone rang. She picked it up without looking who it was. "Hello?"

"How's my cousin?" The male voice on the other side asked in a gentle tone.

"Cousin Lu Feng?" Mingyan asked slightly surprised. She was curious why he had called her.

Lu Feng, who was currently standing near the floor-to-ceiling window in his office, let out a soft laugh that scared the rigidly standing secretary behind him. The poor secretary immediately chanted "don't think about it" continuously in his mind.

Lately, the boss had been wearing a demonic face since one of his family members was said to be shot. So although he was surprised that his demonic face finally softened, he was scared to show it on his face.

Lu Feng's face turned serious. "How is your wound?"

"It scarred," Mingyan simply summarized. Her wound had finally closed, and the only thing that was left was a white mark that reminded her of that traumatizing event. She lazily leaned her side to Shen Yan's with a thump while holding her phone.

Lu Feng's demonic face came again, and the secretary behind him was almost in tears. Then, after a while, Lu Feng's face softened again, leaving his secretary speechless. 'Boss, is it the time of the month? Why are you having mood swings?'

"I'll send you some ointments. Be sure to use them, alright?"

Mingyan shook her head and hummed in refusal. "Hmm, Yan gege gave me some."

Something snapped in Lu Feng's mind, and he cursed at that dreadful name. So it was true. That bastard was actually staying with his adorable cousin! Should he send his secret forces to guard his cousin Mingyan?

Shen Yan gently took Mingyan's phone from her hand. "Don't worry, cousin. She's well taken care of," he said before hanging up. Mingyan blinked her bewildered eyes seemingly wondering what happened. Then her phone rang again, so she took it back.

"Hello?" Once more, she forgot to look at the recipient and assumed it was Lu Feng.

But there was a female voice this time. "Miss Gu, my name is Xiao Xi. I will be your manager starting today."

"Xiao Xi?" Mingyan was surprised. From what she could gather from Mingyan's memories, Xiao Xi was the manager of the now-retired top female singer in China, Douxin.

"Yes, Miss Gu," Xiao Xi's voice was very respectful. "Boss Lu had asked me to take care of you, although he did say not to mind your familial relationship, so I'll be treating you as I treated Douxin." Xiao Xi was an expert in her field. She had wanted to refuse to take on this new artist because of her background, but "My Identity" had shut her up. The girl didn't need underhanded methods to be popular; her voice was enough.