Arc 1: Chapter 9

Claude was right. Mingyan would never resort to begging a stranger who wasn't professional in his work.

The radio staff was in turmoil because they couldn't locate Sam or reach him. They even asked Mingyan if she could contact him, but they were dismayed to learn that she had no means of reaching him. With only five minutes left before the live broadcast, Mingyan stood outside the recording room while the staffs rushed back and forth in a state of panic.

Xiao Xi's expression darkened. She had seen some of Sam's performances and had formed a favorable impression of the young yet talented rapper. But at this moment, it all came crumbling down.

"Sis Xi," Mingyan called calmly, her voice sending a soothing sound that slightly relaxed the panicking staff who heard her. "I'll do it. But it will be in my own rendition."

Xiao Xi and the staff who were listening were stunned. Was she serious? Or was she just overestimating herself?

Meanwhile, there was a person holding his phone with trembling hands as it flashed with a message that said, "It's time for 'My Identity,' please let the artists in." He almost cried.

But there was only one artist here! "Miss Xi, it's time," the person turned to Mingyan's manager with a pale face.

The staff dejectedly slumped their shoulders. That same person who had almost cried mustered the courage to decide for the others. "Go, go! Just do your best! We can't cancel this event because we've already announced on Weibo that there will be a live performance of 'My Identity'! so please perform with all you've got!" His decision resonated in the hearts of the staff there as well. It no longer mattered as long as she decided to perform. Besides, the one who would be criticized would be her anyway!

Mingyan nodded her head while Xiao Xi frowned in worry. "Please tell the host that it will be my own rendition." She then gave a reassuring glance at her manager and calmly walked inside the room. But Xiao Xi was not reassured at all. As Mingyan entered, she bolted to the waiting room and connected to the radio station through her phone.

At this moment, there was a song being played as an interlude. She wasn't allowed to enter the recording room so she had no idea what faces were being made by the staffs inside. Then when the song ended, a female host jumped in right as the song faded.

"That was wonderful! It's been so long since I've heard that song - I suddenly felt nostalgic."

Then, her partner replied. It was a male voice. "Yeah, I think I was seven when I first heard it."

Xiao Xi was sweating as she waited for their announcement.

Female Host: "Now that the song brought us in the past. Let's come back to the present!"

Male Host: "Oooh I'm excited about this."

Meanwhile, most of the people who have tuned in to the radio at this time were also excited. The majority of them were fans of "My Identity," while only a few were loyal listeners of the radio station.

Female Host: "Guess what? We just got a surprise today!"

Male Host: "Is everyone on the edge of their seat?"

Xiao Xi, who tried to patiently listen, was growing annoyed. 'Yes, yes I am!'

Male Host: "That's right! There will be a live performance of "My Identity" today!"

Female Host: "But there's a twist! It's Mingyan's personal rendition of "My Identity"! Now I'm curious what she'll do with the rap part."

Xiao Xi's worries lessened a bit. At the very least, the hosts did a good job in hiding the fact that there was a mistake and turned it into a surprise instead.