Part 15

Hamza came down to the breakfast table, dressed in his office clothes. When he woke up Maya was already gone and the quilt and pillow were folded neatly on the sofa.

As he entered the dining room, Ali Sb was seated at the head of the family seat, also dressed in office attire. Seeing Hamza, he got up from his seat and both father and son hugged each other.

"What is this Baba, you should have messaged me that you were coming, I wouldn't have gone to the dinner last night," Hamza complained to his father.

"Bas beta jee, we thought we would surprise you, But aap ne tau hum ko surprise kar diya." He said lightly.

"Sorry Baba, actually there was a dinner at a friend's farmhouse and it's a bit far, so I got late." He apologised.

Ali Sb just smiled and continued having breakfast. Just then, Maya walked into the room, with a tea kettle in her hands. She placed the kettle on the table and sat next to Ali Sb. opposite Hamza.

He just glanced at her casually and then continued talking to his father. Maya poured a cup of tea for Ali Uncle, and then a cup for herself. She did not bother asking Hamza if he wanted tea or not.

He noticed it and then loudly called Ajmal Bhai, he came running, "Ajmal Bhai Meri coffee aur Nashta" he asked him sounding a bit edgy.

"Bas abhi laya," he said and rushed to the kitchen.

Hamza didn't like her ignoring him, she didn't greet him, or ask about breakfast. "Waisay tau cook bannay ka itna shouq hai, mujh se pooch leti tau kya qayamat aajatee."

"Kher mujhe kya, bas aik do din main chalee jaye gee." he thought to himself and shrugged it off.

"Baba, koi kaam tha Katachi main?" Hamza slowly asked his father the purpose of the visit. His father was not as difficult to handle as his mom.

"Aray bataya nahi Maya ne? I and your mom are going to London, Shafiq's son is getting married, so Maya will live with you." he just burst the bomb in his head.

"Why don't you take her with you, she will also enjoy London." he tried to play cute and smart.

Maya felt so insulted, she knew that he would not like her coming and staying at his house.

"Maya ka visa nahi hai, aur waisay bhi humaray saath kya kare gee ja ke, tum le jana at Christmas," he said sensibly.

"For how long are you going?" he asked calculating in his head, and Maya wanted to run away from there.

"For a week ka plan hai, then let's see," he said casually.

"Abhi aap ka kya plan hai?" he asked his father.

"Main tumhare saath office chal raha hoon, then the driver can drop me to the airport. My flight is at 3:00 pm"

"Okay chalain, I wanted to show you the changes I made to the new wing." they both started discussing work and Maya got lost in her thoughts.

When they were leaving, Ali uncle hugged her patted her head and left. Hamza and Maya did not even exchange a word.

——————————————

As soon as they left, Maya came into the kitchen to ask Ajmal bhai the details about the staff and household.

She was told that one maid would come to clean the house, the kitchen was overlooked by him, and there was a gardener for the garden and two guards at the gate.

Then she asked for a house tour as if she hadn't seen the whole house. She had to move to another room, and she needed to find out which room she occupied while in the house.