Part 20

Maya felt a mix of excitement and nervousness, as she sat in the front seat beside him. She started looking out of the window to take control of her feelings. Not that they were into talking to each other. The roads were not very crowded as it was a weeknight and time was already past 10.

They stopped at a food bazaar or food street kind of place. She looked around and was surprised to look at the place. People were sitting on the roadside on plastic tables and chairs and some on Takhat (a wooden board or table which has a carpet spread on it and people sit or lie down on it). A lot of waiters were running to come near the cars that were stopping, Not at all the kind of place she thought Hamza would be eating at.

She couldn't help but wonder what a contrast to the mighty and refined Hamza she just saw at work, and such a casual dining place. But she kept the thought to herself and stayed quiet.

He stopped the car at a parking spot and turned towards her, "Meri is waqt koi formal jagah jane ki himmat nahi hai, do you mind eating here?"

He was asking her? She was just diving in and out of her astonishment, she didn't say anything just shook her head in a no.

"Good!" He said that and rolled the window down to the waiters who were crowding near his window.

"Roll-in walay ko bhej do," he told the waiter who looked disappointed that his restaurant was not chosen but screamed at some distant waiter who was wearing a red shirt with Roll-in written on it.

The waiter came and handed him the menu card, he took the card and handed it over to Maya, while ordering the waiter, "mere liye 2 chicken chatni roll." And then turned to Maya, she took the card but didn't know what to order. How would she know she had never been to this place?

"Kuch bhi mangwalain." She handed the card back to him.

He gave the card back to the waiter and said "Madam ke liye bhi 2 roll," but Maya interjected from the back, "Nahi Aik".

He looked at her, "Are you sure?" Thinking of how she enjoys her food.

She nodded, and Hamza told the waiter, "Do (2) chicken chatni meray liye or Aik (1) madam ke liye, aur woh soda walay ko bhej do." He completed the order with the waiter asked him to send the other one and rolled the window up.

He then turned To Maya with a smile, "You must try the Limca soda, it's amazing." And she just nodded.

The window knocked from Hamza's side he rolled it down and ordered two Limca.

Once the order was done, it was now just two of them in the car. The windows of the car were tinted dark, they couldn't be seen from outside, creating a very cosy scene inside the car.

As they waited for their food, the atmosphere inside the car shifted. Maya stole glances at Hamza, observing his relaxed demeanour in this unexpected setting. The contrast between his professional façade and this casual moment intrigued her. She felt a rush of curiosity about this different side of him.

Hamza was looking so much at ease scrolling his Mobile as if this was nothing new for Him. She was just looking out of the window when he started the conversation, breaking the silence, "Ye mera favourite khana hai, jab Mujhe bhook lagti hai and I am tired too, I come here."

"Ye kya jagah hai?" Maya asked being a bit relaxed with his friendly tone.

"This is 'Boat Basin Food Street." he replied with the information, "yahan mostly desi food milta hai,"

Maya, feeling more at ease now "Aap ko desi khana pasand hai?" The question just slipped her mouth, but he didn't hesitate and replied casually, "Desi khana kis ko nahi pasand hota?"