Part 36

"Wah Beta Maya, maza agaya, such delicious food," Ali Sb was very happy to eat desi food after so long.

"Thank you, uncle," she was blushing with the compliment, and Hamza was smiling, however, Durri seemed in a grim mood still.

"Abhi Shahi Tukrey baki hain" She tempts them more, "and Kashmiri chai too."

Uncle started to laugh, "Beta aap ne tau puri dawat kar di,"

She smiled and replied, "Hamza ke theek honay ki party tau banti hai na?" She seemed happy and satisfied, and Durri was wondering 'Kis matti ki bani hai ye?'

Durri stayed a little off throughout the dinner, and as they moved to the living room for chai, Maya went into the kitchen while Durri neared Hamza and said, "Chai se farigh ho ke meray saath aao, mujhe tum se baat karni hai,"

"All good Mom" Hamza was already worried about her mood throughout the evening, and now this, there must be something serious.

"Yes, but it depends, anyway, don't tell anyone, just come," She was talking very hushed.

Hamza was confused but he nodded, this was not his mother's usual style. She would never hide anything from Dad, but she wanted to be discreet about this.

Anyway, they continued to the living room, and in a very good atmosphere had tea. Maya was sitting with Hamza, while Phuppo and uncle were sitting together, and on and off Maya and Hamza were referring to something or the other that they did together.

"Baba, do you know that Maya writes articles?" Hamza sounded so proud of her, and Maya was embarrassed at the mention of her, she did not want the attention to divert to her.

"Really? What articles, and why I don't know about it?" He sounded surprised but excited. And then instead of Maya, Hamza started telling him the details and they all got involved in the discussion on what more topics could be explored.

Maya was thoroughly impressed by both father and son, their experience and their education cannot be missed if you talk to them at their level, and Maya was so mesmerized.

As the conversation flowed between Hamza, Maya, and Baba, Durri kept stealing glances at them, her expression growing increasingly troubled. Maya noticed her unease but decided to focus on the conversation, hoping it would lighten Durri's mood.

After a while, Maya excused herself to the room to offer namaz and retire to bed, leaving Hamza with his parents. Durri seized the opportunity and approached Hamza quietly.

"Hamza, can we talk after we're done here?" Durri's voice was low, tinged with urgency.

Hamza's concern deepened. "Sure, Mom. Is everything alright?"

Durri hesitated for a moment, then nodded. "Yes, everything's fine. Just something I need to discuss with you privately."

Hamza nodded, though his worry only increased. It wasn't like his mother acting so mysteriously.

Ali Sb was tired and retired leaving just Durri and Hamza, Durri stood up "Hamza, come with me. I need to talk to you."

As Hamza followed his mother out of the living room, he couldn't shake the feeling that something serious was going on. They settled on the patio in the garden, Durri took the seat next to Hamza very close and turned towards him.

"Ayesha ko bolo apne parents ko inform kar de, while me and Ali are in Karachi we will visit them for your Rishta." She sounded angry, sad, and dejected, but she said what she had to say.

"Kis ko inform kar doon??" Hamza was not ready for this bomb, neither was he ready for the sudden mention of Ayesha.

"Ayesha ko, ye hee naam hai na us larki ka?" Durri stared at him.