Part 30

As the morning sun filtered through the curtains, casting a warm glow in the hospital room, Hamza lay awake, his mind racing with thoughts of home. It's been almost 4 days in the hospital, and he wants to now go home. Maya, seated beside his bed, noticed the restlessness in his demeanour.

Maya asked him politely "Hamza, Kya Howa?"

Hamza sighs "I just want to go home, Maya. I've had enough of this place."

"But the doctors said you need more rest, Hamza. You were seriously injured." She tried to reason with him.

"I know, but I can't stand being cooped up here any longer. I need to be back in my own space." He was adamant.

Maya studied his determined expression, realizing that arguing further would be futile "Alright, let me talk to the doctors and see if they'll consider discharging you today."

Hamza's face brightened at the prospect, a faint smile playing on his lips.

"Good aur us ghaday ko bhi phone karo, I want him to be here when I leave." He was talking about Asad, and now Maya knows that they both were very close.

She left the room to find the attending physician while Hamza closed his eyes, envisioning the familiar comforts of home.

She spoke to the doctors who allowed him to go home but must come back for a check-up. Then Maya called Asad from Hamza's phone. He picked up the call on the first bell, "Maya, Sab khairiat? how is he?"

Maya smiled at him knowing it was her, "He's eager to go home, doctors have also allowed,"

Asad sounded relieved, "That's great news! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help."

Maya had to tell him, "Actually, Hamza requested your presence when he leaves. Can you come"?

Asad smiled, "Of course, I was already coming, I'll be there. Just let me know when."

With a nod of appreciation, Maya hurried back to Hamza's room to finalize the discharge process.

Maya came near him, "The doctors have agreed to discharge you today, but you need to promise me that you'll take it easy at home."

Hamza was relieved with the news but angry at Maya for treating him like a kid,

"Main koi bacha nahi hoon."

Maya knows his ego is already compromised by depending so much on her, so she goes quiet and starts to wrap up.

With the discharge paperwork completed and Hamza dressed in his clothes,  an attendant brought the wheelchair, Hamza just pushed it away and asked Asad to give him support. Asad provided support on one side while Maya walked beside him.

Hamza, smiling, looked at them both and said, "Let's go home, guys."

With the help of Asad and the driver, Hamza was taken inside his home. He felt the breath of fresh air coming back home, the hospital was suffocating him.

——————————

"Hamza yaar kion zid kar rahe Ho?" Asad looked like he will now cry with his stubbornness.

"Main apne room main hee jaon ga." He was insisting to climb up the stairs.

"Maya please aap samjhain, how will he climb the stairs." Asad looked helplessly at Maya.

Maya looked at Hamza and then at Asad, then she came near Hamza and asked, "Aap charh jain ge stairs?"

"Hamza said, "Haan,"

Maya looked at Asad, "Aap help kar dain ge?"

Asad exhaled at the crazy husband and wife and took his arm helping him stair by stair, while Maya followed them.