Part 24

On Sunday Hamza usually wakes up late and then spends the whole day at home relaxing and would only leave home if his friends made some plan. Ayesha also spent Sunday with her family and hardly made any plans.

Hamza woke up late and realized it was Ayesha's exhibition today. Not that he had to attend it because it was a women's affair, but wishing her good luck was his plan. He got ready and came down for breakfast, and to his astonishment, it was Maya who was in the kitchen instead of Ajmal Bhai.

"Ajamal Bhai kahan hain?" He looked at her carefully, wanting to see the situation between them after last night.

Maya turned to his voice, and in her usual tone said, "He got a call from his home, his wife was sick, and he left in emergency." she explained in detail.

"Oh!" He looked confused, what was he supposed to do now? But he didn't have to ask, she volunteered.

"App bethain, main aap ke liye nashta laa rahee hoon," she politely told him. He waited for a while in the kitchen, kept looking at her back, and then walked out of the kitchen.

She brought the tray and placed it in front of him. He observed that she had brought everything that he usually eats. She then went back to the kitchen and came back after a few minutes, with breakfast for herself.

"Kab tak wapis aain ge Ajmal Bhai? Aur mujhe kion nahi bataya?" he asked her casually while sprinkling salt and pepper on the eggs.

"I am sorry, aap sou rahe thay, tau main ne jane diya, bata ke  nahi gaye ke kitnay din main aain ge." She apologized for making the decision herself.

"I will tell Amna to arrange a cook," he took matters into his own hands.

"Nahi rehnay dain, hum do log tau hain, main manage kar loon gee, waisay bhi koi naya insaan ghar main aye ga, main akeli hotee hoon" She had a valid point.

"Are you sure?" he asked her just to be sure, he did not want her to feel obligated to work in the house. She just nodded in response, and they both continued with their breakfast.

"Kya aap ko kisi food se allergy hai?" out of nowhere she asked.

"Matlab?" He was caught off guard by the question.

"Mera matlab hai, main khana banaon gee tau aap ki koi preference ho?" he got her point and liked the easy and causal way the conversation was flowing between them.

He smiled, "Mujhe koi allergy and koi disease nahi hai, and honestly, with Ajmal bhai's expertise, there was no preference too, he used to make a few simple dishes and I would eat them."

She also smiled in return, "Theek hai, aaj driver off hai, kal main us se keh kar samaan mangwa loon gee."  She was saying it more to herself than to him. He did not respond, finished his breakfast, and was about to pick up his plates to take to the kitchen when she said, "It's okay, main le jaon gee,"

He smiled and left the dining room, he had to go meet Ayesha before her exhibition started. Dressed in smart casuals, beige pants white shirt, and white sneakers, with sunglasses he was about to leave the house when he saw Maya busy in the kitchen, he thought for a moment and then walked up to her.

"Main bahar jaa raha hoon, thoree dair main ajaon ga, call me if u need anything." There was nothing unusual about what he said to her, but it felt like after last night he was feeling more comfortable communicating with her.

"Jee," she just replied in a monosyllable and turned to continue doing what she was doing, and Hamza left home.

——————— ————
The exhibition was arranged in a hall, Hamza walked into the hall, filled with colourful garments and people buzzing around. He wanted to come early before the exhibition started.